Can gum disease be cured?

I see all the claims, toothpaste, mouth wash etc; I dont seem to be getting anywhere.

I use an electric toothbrush twice per day, would three times be better.

My diet has changed, I try to avoid sticky foods, I am trying not to snack.

I have read that teeth can regenerate, has anyone managed that?

First of all, I am not a dentist, professional, or expert.

The best thing to do would be to talk to your dentist/hygienist.

I don't know, but I would hope and imagine so.

Electric toothbrushes are great. Gentle flossing is great but I use a Waterpik - tricky to get used to but fabulous things!

Are you gently brushing your gums too when brushing your teeth?

Chewing gum can help oral health, I believe.

Gross warning! -Several years ago, when I had an infection in my gum due to trapped food sneaking under a flap in my gum where my wisdom tooth should be, my dentist sent me to a chemist on Abbeydale road for hydrogen peroxide solution which he said I should dip a cocktail stick into and then let it drip in to the flap! It worked a treat!

I've seen hydrogen peroxide solutions recommended as mouthwashes but I've read they should only be used for a week at a time - you'd have to investigate this, and/or chat with your dentist.

Colgate Peroxyl I think is widely available for this, but a bit pricey and is 1.5% I believe.

Something like this, at 3%, is much cheaper and you may be able to dilute to one part water

https://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/hydrogen-peroxide-solution-3-10-vols/prd-h9n?affiliateid=47868&affsource=AW&awc=2102_1484832266_01f358492dd441761a1235cbd8eec298&utm_campaign=0&utm_medium=HotUKDeals&utm_source=Affiliatewindow

Whatever you decide, I'd recommend talking to your dentist.

If you use an electric toothbrush you need to avoid the temptation to press down too hard while brushing, you will wear your gums away doing it.

I have used this product (Corsodyl) for the treatment of gum disease. It seems to work fine. It's not cheap however. But I get mine from a well known cash and carry, so it's a 'lot' cheaper than the high street version and twice the size.

http://www.corsodyl.co.uk/treat-gum-disease/treat-products/?gclid=CNLVqKW-ztECFQ-3Gwod_QcF2Q#treatment-mouthwash

You will need to get your plaque removed and teeth cleaned before using Corsodyl etc.

Go to a dentist.

I am currently being treated for gum problems (disease). As mentioned above Corsodyl works to a degree but is not really a long term solution. I tried it for a while with limited success

Your dentist really is the key. If they can't sort it, get them to refer you to the dental hospital. I saw a professor there who made me an appointment to have all the spaces between my teeth blasted with some ultrasonic gizmo that gives them a deep clean. Almost immediately there was great improvement, and coupled with the use of Tepe (http://www.tepe.com/uk/products/interdental-brushes/) brushes, things have been steadily improving. The key with the brushes is getting the right size, think I use 5 different sizes depending on the gap between teeth, many of the brushes I had to get off the internet as they are larger than the standard ones you see in the shops.

They also told me to use a tuft brush along where the gums and teeth meet after I had finished brushing (http://www.tepe.com/uk/products/special-brushes/compact-tuft/ - other makes available, I'm not a Tepe rep !)

But as I said, the dentist is first port of call, your problems could well be different to mine. Good luck !!

I have used this product (Corsodyl) for the treatment of gum disease. It seems to work fine. It's not cheap however. But I get mine from a well known cash and carry, so it's a 'lot' cheaper than the high street version and twice the size.

http://www.corsodyl.co.uk/treat-gum-disease/treat-products/?gclid=CNLVqKW-ztECFQ-3Gwod_QcF2Q#treatment-mouthwash

I have read that you are not meant to use it 24/7

Its a couple of years ago, when I had a different dentist, and she woke me up to the danger of my gum disease.

I guess I am much improved since those days, I did brush my teeth, but I needed a double visit at the hygienist to clean my teeth.

I go to the hygienist every six months, and the dentist the same.

The last visit to the dentist, he clean some plaque and said they were fairly clean.

But it seems I am still on a downward slope, I did over indulge over Christmas, I must try to do better from now on.

I keep changing my dental routine, because I am unsure what is best.

I had a ordinary electric brush, then I bought one with a little round head, because I heard they were better; not sure.

---------- Post added 19-01-2017 at 18:14 ----------

Electric toothbrushes are great. Gentle flossing is great but I use a Waterpik - tricky to get used to but fabulous things!

I thought about those, I would pay the price if I thought it would solve my issues.

go to the Charles clifford

you have to be referred afaik and the wait can be up to 4 months.

You don't have to be referred but the wait is aprox 4 months go to reception to register they will then get in touch with you by post with an appointment

Was told by two dentists a couple of years ago that Charles Clifford will only see people who have been referred by them. Both dentists contacted the dental hospital with my requirement for root canal treatment, the requests were turned down flat. I sincerely hope the situation has now changed.

I see all the claims, toothpaste, mouth wash etc; I dont seem to be getting anywhere.

I use an electric toothbrush twice per day, would three times be better.

My diet has changed, I try to avoid sticky foods, I am trying not to snack.

I have read that teeth can regenerate, has anyone managed that?

Could be genetic.