Was the Poll Tax really fair?

The biggest problem with the poll tax was that it was too high when it was first introduced.

Other than that, in principal it seemed a fair idea. Why shouldn't everyone over the age of 18 contribute to the council services they use?

The biggest problem with the poll tax was that it was too high when it was first introduced.

Other than that, in principal it seemed a fair idea. Why shouldn't everyone over the age of 18 contribute to the council services they use?

Becuase PT didn't take into account peoples ability to pay.

A much better fairer system would be a Land Value Tax, but this will never happen because various MP's, Lords and various other aristocrats own vast amounts of land.

For those of you unfamiliar with Land Value Tax this very short video here explains it all very simply.

Becuase PT didn't take into account peoples ability to pay.

A much better fairer system would be a Land Value Tax, but this will never happen because various MP's, Lords and various other aristocrats own vast amounts of land.

For those of you unfamiliar with Land Value Tax this very short video here explains it all very simply.

A fair system is one in which everyone using the services pays for the services.

Does someone owning a massive garden use more council services than someone living in a flat?

A fair system is privatise everying, and only pay for what you use.

But that wouldn't be fair on the people that want but can't afford. :)

But that wouldn't be fair on the people that want but can't afford. :)

This is what happened in the London Borough of Wandsworth. When the CT was first introduced, the residents of that borough received zero council tax bills. :clap::banana:

Trouble was many of the residents suffered as libraries and council run children's nurseries closed. They cut the essential (to some) services, so they couldn't have it both ways. :help:

I can see how the poll taxis fair. Everyone pays the same tax and no discrimination amongst wealth.

As it is now the people who have success, wealth pay more and get less. The ones that have less income pays less or none at all and get more. Do the people in S11 get more fire engines than someone on the Arbourthorne? The people in S11 certainly dont get decent roads.i now take a longer route and avoid Gladstone Road. The Council should be sued for back injuries that road causes.

I have never agreed with taxing wealth. You do well at school and through life and get taxed on it? Wheres the incentive? As for tax at 40% then no wonder people find ways of tax avoidance.

In live in a working mans street by the way and earn below the national average wage. I live in a band B house.

Edited by GerryBooth

A local income tax would have been fairer, but that seems to have disappeared from the political agenda.

It was "fair" but it should have different bands, like our rates do, perhaps it did, its a long time ago now.

I can see how the poll taxis fair. Everyone pays the same tax and no discrimination amongst wealth.

As it is now the people who have success, wealth pay more and get less. The ones that have less income pays less or none at all and get more. Do the people in S11 get more fire engines than someone on the Arbourthorne? The people in S11 certainly dont get decent roads.i now take a longer route and avoid Gladstone Road. The Council should be sued for back injuries that road causes.

I have never agreed with taxing wealth. You do well at school and through life and get taxed on it? Wheres the incentive? As for tax at 40% then no wonder people find ways of tax avoidance.

In live in a working mans street by the way and earn below the national average wage. I live in a band B house.

so a family of 5 living in pitsmoor were entitled to pay the same as 2 people living in a mansion in dore. these same 5 people who also got the same services as the 2 in dore should pay five times as much ? you say you don't agree with taxing wealth so do you agree that taxing the less well off to make up the shortfall is ok ?

Edited by ricgem2002

Trouble was many of the residents suffered as libraries and council run children's nurseries closed. They cut the essential (to some) services, so they couldn't have it both ways. :help:

I thought essential services were things like art galleries, they never seem to suffer.

How do you define what you use and what you don't?

For example, if you may not have any children you may feel that you shouldn't contribute taxes towards the education, but you have certainly benefited from those around you being educated, the doctor/nurse that would look after you when you're ill.

Same if you don't drive, you may not want to contribute towards the roads, but you certainly benefit from there being a comprehensive road system.

How do you define what you use and what you don't?

The water rates went that way.

I object to recycling and reducing my waste, as a good citizen, yet those that dont bother just get their bins emptied; a charge per black bin would be fair.