Where is the best place to rent in Sheffield??

Hi there,

Me & my husband currently live in Milton Keynes but are thinking of moving to Sheffield for a new start. My Husband can get transferred with his work and his office will be in Meadowhall. Neither of us have been to Sheffield before so we do not know much about the area.

Things that might help you help us:

-With husbands work being in Meadowhall, Somewhere near there or somewhere that has good transport links to that area. Could even be outside Sheffield if links were good.

- Were looking to start a family soon and would like to be somewhere were there are good nursery's/ Schools for when the child is bigger.

-Near lots of outside space as we both love being outside

-Were not keen on being in the middle of the town.

-Looking for a property with 2 bedrooms or more & were looking to spend around £800 a month in rent ( You can get nothing for that price in Milton Keynes)

Any info that you provide will be greatly received :)

For £800 a month you could find what you want in just about any part of Sheffield that took your fancy. The South West of the city is generally considered the better side and is close to the Peak District but quite a distance to Meadowhall, it depends what your priorities are.

Like i said i have no idea on Sheffield at all, We were looking at Ecclesfield.. Do you have any idea on what it is like there?? I don't want to be somewhere that's overloaded with students either. I really dont mind where as long as its a nice area and transport links to Meadowhall are good. I know that all citys have areas that you should avoid.. So i don't really wanna be in a no go area of sheffield, like i wouldn't wanna be in certain areas of Milton Keynes Either.

Will he be using public transport to Meadowhall or driving? Some of my ex colleagues used to cycle or get the busto work in that area but I used to drive there so I can't comment on public transport. I have lived in lots of areas between Thorpe Hesley on the north side (junction 35 on the M1) down to junction 31 on the M1. I can say if areas are good and bad to live in and by car but I don't know all the up to date bus routes.

He will be using public transport at first but once we are settled he will then have use of the car if he feels he needs to.

We don't know much about the public transport up there, but i'm sure its the same as Milton keynes with Buses & Trains. Once we have had feed back and decided on an area that's when we will think of transport properly.

What areas would you recommend Chez2?

Suggestion on nice areas if he has a car but not taking into consideration the bus routes. I have often found I could travel into Sheffield from Rotherham quicker than my colleagues who live closer but in Sheffield itself.

There are lots of areas if you have a car. Thorpe Hesley or Scholes are close to Ecclesfield and Chapeltown but I'm not up to date on what its like to live in Ecclesfield or Chapeltown. Some areas of Kimberworth are nice, some not so nice parts.

On the south side you have Whiston, Wickersley, Flanderwell, Bramley, Hellaby, Thurcroft, laughton common, laughton en le morthen and Dinnington. I'm not too sure about Anston and Aston as I don't know anyone that lives there but they look okay when you drive through.

Meadowhall can be a nightmare between November and January. I used to work on the sewage works under the viaduct and it used to drive me crazy stuck in shopping traffic. I used to opt for the early shift 7am to 4pm to try and miss most of it.

Okay brilliant. I Will definitely have a look into the areas you have suggested. I didn't really want to post on here, but when i've looked into before people just say what post code to avoid, But that means nothing to me.

Are there any areas that you think we should avoid???

I will have a look into Rotherham, as someone i know suggested that too but i didn't give it much thought :)

Luckily enough were not moving until the new year, so hopefully by the time we move we would of missed all the traffic till were settled in properly.

I really am shocked at how cheap properties are to rent In Sheffield. You get so much more for your money than you do in Milton Keynes.

Like i said i have no idea on Sheffield at all, We were looking at Ecclesfield.. Do you have any idea on what it is like there?? I don't want to be somewhere that's overloaded with students either. I really dont mind where as long as its a nice area and transport links to Meadowhall are good. I know that all citys have areas that you should avoid.. So i don't really wanna be in a no go area of sheffield, like i wouldn't wanna be in certain areas of Milton Keynes Either.

I'm not all that familiar with Ecclesfield but I'm not aware of any problems with it, it's definitely not a no go area. The S35 postcode, which covers Ecclesfield, also includes Grenoside which always looks very pleasant and is semi-rural with a villagey vibe. Some nice woodland walks around there. I would say to avoid S4 and S5.

Ok brilliant. I shall have a look into Grenoside. Thank you for your help :) the moves feels very real now.

i think your best bet is to get up here for a weekend. when we first moved from down south we did half a day in each town. We had originally thought we would like rotherham, but fell in love with doncaster.

Put a pin in meadowhall and look at the towns close by and narrow yourself down to a few. We originally found sheffield too big (we ended up here but thats another story).

For example, if you look at trains to meadowhall you have the penistone line to the countryside, leeds in the north, sheffield, nottingham, barnsley doncaster, and everywhere in between.

not to confuse you, but the whole point of meadowhall is to be central to these places...

explore and discover, then think about specifics of where and how..