How quickly should my landlord fix my heating?

I informed my letting agency on Monday that the heating does not work. They replied Tuesday saying the landlady was getting in touch with her plumber, but I haven't heard anything since. I have an electric fire but this is not ideal.

What is a reasonable amount of time to wait before bothering them again? Its getting colder and I don't fancy spending the winter with no heating :(

I informed my letting agency on Monday that the heating does not work. They replied Tuesday saying the landlady was getting in touch with her plumber, but I haven't heard anything since. I have an electric fire but this is not ideal.

What is a reasonable amount of time to wait before bothering them again? Its getting colder and I don't fancy spending the winter with no heating :(

I think this is unacceptable,and I would threaten to engage a heating engineer and refer the bill to the owner.Check your tenancy agreement which obliges a landlord to provide a source of heat and hot water.Record the extra electricity used and bill the owner.Letting agents have mixed reports.

Nearly a week is too long! Not sure what the 'legal' obligations are, but keep on at them!

I'm quite lucky mines covered with a scheme with a Sheffield company called FailSafe and I just call them up and they are always out within 24 hours. Maybe mention something to your landlady about joining some boiler cover scheme for future issues! x

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Nearly a week is too long! Not sure what the 'legal' obligations are, but keep on at them!

I'm quite lucky mines covered with a scheme with a Sheffield company called FailSafe and I just call them up and they are always out within 24 hours. Maybe mention something to your landlady about joining some boiler cover scheme for future issues! x

The boiler is so old (around 30 years, there is a service date of 1982 inside it) I doubt anyone would cover it. It really needs replacing I think but i doubt they will. I will ring them this morning. I wish I had checked it when I viewed the property. There is a carbon monoxide alarm, fortunately.

Its not just the cold that bothers me, without working radiators my clothes will take forever to dry and smell damp :( I can't even move until February, which I increasingly feel like I will be doing, even though I can't afford it :(

If I was you I would get onto the private lettings standards department at the council, I forget the proper name for it. If your boiler hasn't been serviced since 1982 (mine gets a new sticker every year) and is that old they will probably order that it has to be condemned and replaced!

---------- Post added 02-11-2013 at 10:45 ----------

You don't happen to meet any of these conditions do you?

http://www.boilergrants.co.uk/qualify-boiler-grant.php

I think you do work and obviously dont know what you earn, but its possible you claim tax credits...

I had a new boiler fitted in June and the noticable savings on my gas bill from my old 12 year old boiler is amazing!

If a landlord and letting agent have allowed you to rent a property without the boiler being yearly serviced, not only could they both find themselves in a lot of trouble but you should run far from both of these people. I almost don't believe you.

If a landlord and letting agent have allowed you to rent a property without the boiler being yearly serviced, not only could they both find themselves in a lot of trouble but you should run far from both of these people. I almost don't believe you.

The law says nothing about servicing but a gas safety check is imperative.

The law says nothing about servicing but a gas safety check is imperative.

Check my link post 06

Your landlord has duties under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 to arrange maintenance by a Gas Safe registered engineer for all pipe work, appliances and flues, which they own and have provided for your use.

Your landlord must also arrange for an annual gas safety check to be carried out every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer. They must keep a record of the safety check for 2 years and issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and issue a copy to any new tenants before they move in.

Check my link post 06

Your landlord has duties under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 to arrange maintenance by a Gas Safe registered engineer for all pipe work, appliances and flues, which they own and have provided for your use.

Your landlord must also arrange for an annual gas safety check to be carried out every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer. They must keep a record of the safety check for 2 years and issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and issue a copy to any new tenants before they move in.

Can you tell me what maintenance pipework requires?