4 more bank holidays!

Bobbins. Any time a football manager says something about thats a pledge. A minor celeb has a bash at giving up drugs - thats always a vow. Im sure Blair, Cmaeron and everyone gets quoted as vowing this, pledging that. Obviously if any of the above criticises anyone, they give them a "blast" in media land. Most people can see through it.

i dont think they can, thats why most people think Corbyn wants to give the Falklands away and abolish the army

i dont think they can, thats why most people think Corbyn wants to give the Falklands away and abolish the army

It was widely reported that he had suggested to share the Falklands !

What use are the Falkland Islands to the UK?

The days of being a coaling station for The Fleet are long gone.

it may have been widely reported, that doesnt mean it true...

from what i recall he said we should open dialogue with the Argentinians, not give them away, but i stand to be corrected if i am wrong

it may have been widely reported, that doesnt mean it true...

from what i recall he said we should open dialogue with the Argentinians, not give them away, but i stand to be corrected if i am wrong

Ok let's open the dialogue.

Argies: we want the falklands, they are ours from hundreds of years ago

Corbyn: maybe we could share them

Islanders: no!

And so it goes on. Unless there's a groundswell for change, shouldn't we let the residents decide. It's a non-issue.

This is why I'm not a fan of corbyn, he's the sort who thinks there's always middle ground and there isn't always middle ground. The falklands is one, relitivly minor case. What do you think trump would make of him? Putin. The uk is starting to look like the slightly bonkers uncle you avoid at weddings already, certainly when you compare us the slick new Canadian chap, and the new French leader (not le pen) we don't need corbyn reinforcing the idea.

Ok let's open the dialogue.

Argies: we want the falklands, they are ours from hundreds of years ago

Corbyn: maybe we could share them

Islanders: no!

And so it goes on. Unless there's a groundswell for change, shouldn't we let the residents decide. It's a non-issue.

This is why I'm not a fan of corbyn, he's the sort who thinks there's always middle ground and there isn't always middle ground. The falklands is one, relitivly minor case. What do you think trump would make of him? Putin. The uk is starting to look like the slightly bonkers uncle you avoid at weddings already, certainly when you compare us the slick new Canadian chap, and the new French leader (not le pen) we don't need corbyn reinforcing the idea.

whoooaaa, we are getting ahead of ourselves here...

i just posted that people believe he wants to give the Falklands away, i was just highlighting that some people believe anything...

as for the falklands, did he actually say he wants to give them away, did he even say lets share them? i dont recall that he did, all i recall is he said lets open dialogues with the argies, nothing more, nothing less, and in that dialogue the islanders views should come into the equation, and after all the dialogue, and if things have not changed, then so be it, but talking is better than not talking, it could save lives if any attempt was made to recapture the Falklands by the argies, perhaps after any talks, the argies may seem like its a lost cause.....

But all this is just a distraction from what was being discussed, and to be honest i cant be bothered getting into a debate about the Falklands, so i am leaving the falklands debate here

Ah excellent. Expect most people to lose 4 days holiday a year as companies just absorb the new BHs into their existing number of holiday days.

Which would be another example of how little respect these companies you refer to have for their employees.

It really is time the employees of today stood up for themselves.

Which would be another example of how little respect these companies you refer to have for their employees.

It really is time the employees of today stood up for themselves.

I agree.

Never have Unions been more needed to stand up for the rights of the workers.

I have never seen the working population; the real generators of wealth, more cowed, demoralised and subservient. People need to realise the big corporate bosses never give you anything, you have to fight every inch for it.

'Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men, for the nastiest of motives, will somehow work for the benefit of all.'

John Maynard Keynes.

I agree.

Never have Unions been more needed to stand up for the rights of the workers.

I have never seen the working population; the real generators of wealth, more cowed, demoralised and subservient. People need to realise the big corporate bosses never give you anything, you have to fight every inch for it.

'Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men, for the nastiest of motives, will somehow work for the benefit of all.'

John Maynard Keynes.

anna just love your posts, we would be in a right state without unions,

anna just love your posts, we would be in a right state without unions,

You mean we would have been !

I am an ex union member, worked in factories all my working life where people had and still do have, but to a lesser degree, hazardous, dirty, working conditions and dangerous occupations ..... the unions were more necessary in the past than what they are now IMHO !

The unions of today talk of past glories, many of the members today have fought for very little in comparison to previous generations, the laws, regulations and legislation in place today ensure that people work in safer, healthier environments than they have ever done before, with a reasonable amount of paid holidays, with extended maternity/paternity leave even sick pay and shorter and more flexible working hours ....... tell me what do the unions of today negotiate and win on any grand scale :huh:

You mean we would have been !

I am an ex union member, worked in factories all my working life where people had and still do have, but to a lesser degree, hazardous, dirty, working conditions and dangerous occupations ..... the unions were more necessary in the past than what they are now IMHO !

The unions of today talk of past glories, many of the members today have fought for very little in comparison to previous generations, the laws, regulations and legislation in place today ensure that people work in safer, healthier environments than they have ever done before, with a reasonable amount of paid holidays, with extended maternity/paternity leave even sick pay and shorter and more flexible working hours ....... tell me what do the unions of today negotiate and win on any grand scale :huh:

If you take the unions away there you remove one of the brakes on the excesses of employers.

We see it every week in the news, with workers having to fight for basic rights. Stuff like the right to be even called an employee, or have sick pay, or holidays. When employers go too far these fights start to happen again. Ok some of those fighting are not in official unions but effectively they are combining, and combination is a precursor to organised unions.

I think the basic mistake you are making is to assume that all the hard work is finished, that rights have been won now and won't be taken away again. I don't think you could be more wrong because those rights would be removed in a heartbeat by government and employers if they thought they could get away with it.

If you take the unions away there you remove one of the brakes on the excesses of employers.

We see it every week in the news, with workers having to fight for basic rights. Stuff like the right to be even called an employee, or have sick pay, or holidays. When employers go too far these fights start to happen again. Ok some of those fighting are not in official unions but effectively they are combining, and combination is a precursor to organised unions.

I think the basic mistake you are making is to assume that all the hard work is finished, that rights have been won now and won't be taken away again. I don't think you could be more wrong because those rights would be removed in a heartbeat by government and employers if they thought they could get away with it.

I disagree, plenty of workers rights are now set by government legislation, I doubt that any British government would rescind those rights in a heartbeat, we have moved on. I appreciate that some employers try things on but any individual can check acas and government websites to know their rights, regardless of union membership, and if they are wronged can act upon it.

I am not against union membership, I just don't see it as a strong arm it once was, they have generally been put in their place after the farcical 70s and early 80s.