New speeding fines, the way forward.

There is nothing crafty about the camera vans the park regularly at Meadowhead in the 30 mph zone, or the one coming off the chesterfield bypass towards Lowedges, .....

Haven't seen them during evening rush hour over the last 6 months.

When do they go there?

I'm pretty sure there's not a single poster on this thread (or anywhere else) who hasn't at some time exceeded the speed limit at one time or another....Just sayin'

Exactly its just pot luck if you get caught or not,i love big steep hills that have a 30 mph limit going down them.You either have the transmission screaming for forgiveness in a low gear or you have your brakes on the whole way and then have them fading when you get to the bottom of the hill.Cromford hill in derbyshire being a prime example.

When do they go there?

I saw one about three weeks ago, coming off the bypass towards lowedges road

However, the point I was trying to make is that that in my home town I am aware of where the cameras are, and where the vans could potentially be parked thereby adjusting my speed accordingly.

I confess to going over the speed now and again but by knowing where the cameras are I can minimise the risk of getting caught.

When do they go there?

On their way home perhaps?

Under the rules that came into force in April 2017, the fine is now related to income, but what happens if the driver is not in employment, receives no benefits, and is entirely dependent on spouse's income? How would the fine be calculated in such a case? Would there be a minimum fine, or a fine based on the spouse's income?

Do you think you get fined if you don't speed?

If you cant match the speed on the dial thingy in the car to the speed on the big posts on the roadside then really you only have yourself to blame.

Oh really? I have a friend who drives wagons for a living. At 4 am in the morning when there is virtually no traffic on the smart motorway, every speed limit sign is different and every one is less than 70.

Now why is that?

Oh really? I have a friend who drives wagons for a living. At 4 am in the morning when there is virtually no traffic on the smart motorway, every speed limit sign is different and every one is less than 70.

Now why is that?

So they can fleece you of your hard earned wages of course.

Angel1.

Considering 112,000 people were fined for speeding on just the motorway network in 2014 alone that would be an awful lot of people doing community service. Who is going to pay for that logistical nightmare?

Angelfire's response was so typical of the 'it's everyone's fault but mine and I'm being screwed!' brigade.

Don't blame the government. Man up, take the fine and move on. Or sort out your heavy right foot.

Here is my op post, " Just another scam by the Government of the day to pick your pocket a little more.

Why doesn't the Government do away with fines all together and use alternative methods of punishment. Community service on a weekend, litter picking on a weekend or footpath sweeping even. That would be a punishment without reducing the income of a family.

Will it ever happen, does snow melt, do we get wet when standing in the rain, more chance of reversing these two items than the Government missing an opportunity to fleece us.

Where do you get "it's everyone's fault but mine and I'm been screwed " from. I see no mention of any of that in my post.

Just to excise you a little more, I drove HGV's for 30 years and NEVER received a speeding ticket.

Read it and weep. It's a real pain when you get blown out of the water isn't it MamboNo5.

Angel1.

I don’t think it matters what penalties are put in place for speeders, there will always be someone that doesn’t like it.

I recall living in Germany before all this Schengen nonsense and was stopped for speeding by the German police.

Although not massively over the limit it would have incurred a month driving ban.

Fortunately for me I was leaving the country the following week so left before the ban could be imposed.

The threat of losing my driving privileges, even for a month put the willies up me far more than any fine would have!

Another point of view is that these "speed limits" were imposed when cars had rod and drum brakes. Now we have servo disc brakes all round, capable of stopping a car very quickly, unlike the rod/drum which took an age in comparison.

Angel1.

Another point of view is that these "speed limits" were imposed when cars had rod and drum brakes. Now we have servo disc brakes all round, capable of stopping a car very quickly, unlike the rod/drum which took an age in comparison.

Angel1.

But by using your logic, cars should therefore be much safer, capable of stopping sooner and therefore fewer accidents.

But there aren't, why is that?