UKIP's new policy - force Muslim girls to have intimate examinations

It seems that these guidelines are no more than the written equivalent of hot air as there hasn't been a single conviction in this country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37364079

There's been one conviction and bizarrely it was against a doctor. I'd like to provide the link but as yet I've had no luck with this phone sorry. Even so one in over 30 years isn't good.

no problem but just a thought, who highlighted it , Ukip or the media ?

From the link the FGM story is one part of UKIPs 3 pronged approach to an integration agenda:

a burka ban, FGM checks in schools and a ban on new Islamic faith schools.

There's been one conviction and bizarrely it was against a doctor. I'd like to provide the link but as yet I've had no luck with this phone sorry. Even so one in over 30 years isn't good.

You may be thinking of Dr Dhanuson Dharmasena, who was mistakenly prosecuted but acquitted.

By getting it so wrong, the CPS caused more harm than good.

There has been no conviction for FGM in the UK.

Edited by cgksheff

You may be thinking of Dr Dhanuson Dharmasena, who was mistakenly prosecuted but acquitted.

By getting it so wrong, the CPS caused more harm than good.

There has been no conviction for FGM in the UK.

That was him yes. Nothing about acquittal in the piece I read but ok. Bizarre though. Some police forces are against prosecution, opting to educate parents instead saying imprisonment would not benefit the child.

These examinations aren't like a simply diabetes check! It's an exceptionally uncomfortable and embarrassing procedure. I can't imagine anyone who isn't basically evil wants to allow FGM but this just isn't the way. As mel says earlier in the thread, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

It's a terrible idea no matter who proposed it. Amazed it was a Dianne Abbott suggestion, but a quick Google search indeed confirms it. What was she thinking? Yet another thing to confirm my defection from Labour to LD is Diane Abbot, she's just horrendous and I think does more damage to Labour than Corbyn if I'm honest.

These examinations aren't like a simply diabetes check! It's an exceptionally uncomfortable and embarrassing procedure. I can't imagine anyone who isn't basically evil wants to allow FGM but this just isn't the way. As mel says earlier in the thread, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

It's a terrible idea no matter who proposed it. Amazed it was a Dianne Abbott suggestion, but a quick Google search indeed confirms it. What was she thinking? Yet another thing to confirm my defection from Labour to LD is Diane Abbot, she's just horrendous and I think does more damage to Labour than Corbyn if I'm honest.

Id bet good money she would say she never suggested it , that she was misheard or misquoted or whatever they say when they come up with bad ideas

Id bet good money she would say she never suggested it , that she was misheard or misquoted or whatever they say when they come up with bad ideas

I'm afraid she did. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/diane-abott-calls-for-mandatory-checks-on-schoolgirls-to-secure-prosecutions-for-fgm-9184171.html

Anyway a bad idea is a bad idea whoever expresses it.

Serious question. How would you tackle the problem?

Diane Abbot is a fool, a racist one at that but I cant help but feel her heart was in the right place with this.

Joining this a bit late, but out of interest, how much difference in terms of violating the children would there be between a visual inspection by a female nurse for FGM, and the cough test by a male doctor for every boy?

It's a terrible idea no matter who proposed it. Amazed it was a Dianne Abbott suggestion, but a quick Google search indeed confirms it. What was she thinking?

I'm not being nasty here but I do think that she isn't well, whether physically or mentally. When I've seen her on TV she looks to be easily confused and somehow just off the pace, not with it at all.

the easiest way to stop most of this horrendous cultural procedure is to invoke a law that says an examination could be called up at any time for girls living in the uk from a certain age onwards then the parents wouldnt take the risk ? not perfect but its a start. the ones that do this are animals and any suspicion should be investigated without fear of cultural sensitivities.