The deposit scheme

when we moved in we didn't sign anything to say our deposit would be held in that deposit protection scheme and now we're drawing nearer to moving out I'm worried we won't get any of our deposit back. have heard some pretty horrendous stories lately about corrupt landlords and although ours seem nice and reasonable so did my friends and then she turned into a nightmare. her deposit wasn't put into the scheme and from an £800 deposit they were given a cheque for £300 which the landlady cancelled and reported as stolen.

How long have you been in the property? Have you asked them if your deposit is protected under one of the available schemes? Landlord can be fined up to three times deposit if not secured in the correct manner.

Open a dialogue with your landlord in the first instance.

There are approx. 3 approved schemes, one of which is insurance, so the deposit does not have to be forwarded in that case.

I use DPS, and for that, and I suspect others the landlord has to provide info as to where it is, via 'Prescribed Information'

ASK!