Buildings Insurance for Private Landlords

is it a legal requirement that they have it?

I don't think it is, but it really is a good idea and will certainly be a condition of any mortgage a landlord may have.

Further info

I currently pay £12 a month for landlords buildings cover, which doesn't exactly break the bank.

Edited by TimmyR

is it a legal requirement that they have it?

No, it's not- but I'd always insist that every purchaser client has it.

Even for vacant land, yes- as one still needs public liability cover, despite absence of buildings.

---------- Post added 22-08-2013 at 17:19 ----------

will certainly be a condition of any mortgage a landlord may have.

Yes, true, and also required by any mortgagee (if the property is mortgaged).

Any recommendations for a good basic landlord buildings insurance two bed terraced

Define good. Do you mean cheap? To me, good means helpful if you make a claim.

I found some insurers provide LL cover, until you mention letting to Dss or students then they don`t want to know. Obviosly some are ok with these groups.

Any recommendations for a good basic landlord buildings insurance two bed terraced

Try Aviva but use the normal insurance online,stating your intention to let-will cost about £150 I expect.

It depends on the postcode and what tenants you have. Give Fletcher Smith Brokers a call 2333175 they are very competitive, speak to Andy/Loraine

Try Aviva but use the normal insurance online,stating your intention to let-will cost about £150 I expect.

The words that I've underlined are vital. You must tell the insurer that the property is let, or else the insurance would be void.

I use "The Business Octopus" and haven't had a problem with them. They are brokers and will find the best policy for you.

I currently pay £147 for a 3 bed terrace and that is actually £2 cheaper then last year for the same coverage.

I wonder if the OP was questioning whether their landlord is required to have buildings insurance though. It's just the way the question is worded.

Irrespective of the legality, of course buildings insurance is essential, as is contents if the property is furnished. It is advisable to have the best you can afford with included legal cover and cover for alternative accommodation for the tenants in case the property becomes uninhabitable.

Irrespective of the legality, of course buildings insurance is essential, as is contents if the property is furnished. It is advisable to have the best you can afford with included legal cover and cover for alternative accommodation for the tenants in case the property becomes uninhabitable.

Re contents insurance:

L can insure only L's own contents (fittings, furniture, etc.) in the let property.

T can insure only T's own contents (clothing, personal effects, and whatever else T brings in).