Plumbing Scams: Have You Been Scammed?

I am surprised you have been duped as most tradesmen get a small network of trusted helpers.

My trade is rather unusual, practitioners do not work alongside other trades, and usually have nothing to do with them. ;)

My trade is rather unusual, practitioners do not work alongside other trades, and usually have nothing to do with them. ;)

It does sound intriguing-are we permitted to guess?

2 weeks is a long time for a crack to turn into a leak has any one thought it could be unconnected ?. If your plumber was trying to scam you then surely he would be wanting to replace this at cost ? There are many thing whilst doing plumbing maintenance in a bathroom that can cause loud noises. I just believe in hear two side to every story !.

2 weeks is a long time for a crack to turn into a leak has any one thought it could be unconnected ?. If your plumber was trying to scam you then surely he would be wanting to replace this at cost ? There are many thing whilst doing plumbing maintenance in a bathroom that can cause loud noises. I just believe in hear two side to every story !.

I suspect the cistern was actually leaking the whole time, it just took a while to notice. It was a slow but constant drip from the underside of the cistern that drew my attention to the problem (@1.5 pints per 24hrs).

There is absolutely nothing in the bathroom other than the ceramic toilet that could have made the noises I heard - it is a very distinctive sound.

Initially when the plumber arrived the plumber suggested he may replace some pipework leading in to the toilet cistern. He did not, nor is there any evidence (other than the crack) that he did anything to do with the pipework to the toilet or the toilet itself. Indeed, without any prompt, the plumber claimed he never even touched the toilet.

Thinking about it, the opposite end of the square metal rod to which the toilet handle is attached is encrusted with crystalline deposits which prevent removal of the apparatus within the cistern attached to that end of the rod. It is possible, I suppose, that, rather than trying a scam, the plumber attempted to knock the apparatus off the opposite end of the rod using a hammer and thereby caused the crack. That would account for the noises I heard, as well as the presence and location of the crack.

I'm afraid that at best this is a case of damage the plumber caused and kept quiet about; at worst, malicious damage.

There is absolutely no other possible explanation.

...We live and learn ....Sometimes the hard way.

Edited by Native lad

That rod in which you refer to is the flush hand link arm if any pipe work was to be replaced this wouldn't have needed to be touched.

I would always say to use a registered plumber i.e APHC,CIPHE,MIP ETC as there work is checked every year and the can act as for both consumer and trade in any disputes !