Is it acceptable to park in a disabled bay if you do not hold a blue badge?

Is it ever acceptable to park in a disabled bay if you do not hold a blue badge?

Today the weather wasn't brilliant when I pulled into a small car park outside a row of shops. There were around 20 parking spaces at least 4 of which were taken by recyling bins, 3 by a delivery truck and a further 4 or 5 are marked as disabled parking places. Everywhere else is marked out with double yellow lines.

When I pulled in to the car park every non disabled place had a car, truck or a bin parked in it, but not a single disabled space was being used.

As it is very unlikely that 5 blue badge holders will all turn up together is it acceptable to park in a disabled space for 5 minutes whilst you buy some stamps, or should you drive away and shop elsewhere?

It's always "against the rules." You could probably argue the case, in the real world, that you were not actually preventing a disabled person from using the spot; but that might not save you. I've been fined for obstructing other traffic when there was no other traffic...

No, it isn't IMO.. And people who do should be punished to the full extent of the law IMO.

It's always "against the rules." You could probably argue the case, in the real world, that you were not actually preventing a disabled person from using the spot; but that might not save you. I've been fined for obstructing other traffic when there was no other traffic...

If it was a private car park then the markings on the disabled bays have no more legal basis than a picture of a squirrel. The only thing preventing you from parking in them is your own good will.

jb

That's not really the point. As everyone knows fines from private car parks are not enforcable anyhow.

I just find it very annoying that about a quarter of folks who park using a blue badge are clearly 100% fit and have either faked a badge, borrowed one, obtained one under false pretences or failed to return a badge once a disability was cured.

As it happens I didn't have to park in a disabled parking space as someone moved their car whilst I was thinking about it.

If it was a private car park then the markings on the disabled bays have no more legal basis than a picture of a squirrel.

If it's a private car park, then you don't have permission to park there at all unless the owner grants it to you!

If it's a private car park, then you don't have permission to park there at all unless the owner grants it to you!

Generally the car park sign is the giveaway. That and the neatly marked out bays.

Generally the car park sign is the giveaway. That and the neatly marked out bays.

Those don't prove that the owners allows you to park anywhere at any time in any manner you choose; they're only indicators.

That's not really the point. As everyone knows fines from private car parks are not enforcable anyhow.

I just find it very annoying that about a quarter of folks who park using a blue badge are clearly 100% fit and have either faked a badge, borrowed one, obtained one under false pretences or failed to return a badge once a disability was cured.

As it happens I didn't have to park in a disabled parking space as someone moved their car whilst I was thinking about it.

Where did you get the figure of 25% from?

Where did you get the figure of 25% from?

They refer to it as using one's eyes

Those don't prove that the owners allows you to park anywhere at any time in any manner you choose; they're only indicators.

So do you go and ask permission to park everytime you want to shop at Tesco?

Sounds to me like the said parking bays have been designed by and idiot with an unrealistic sense of proportion; I think if there is simply nowhere else to park and there are other unused disabled bays then you could be forgiven, only an unthinking miserable jobsworth would take exception.

If there are parking alternatives within reasonable walking distance then you should be shot on sight for being so lazy and selfish.