Spitfire over High Green.

Anyone see the Spitfire flying over High Green earlier.

Sounded absolutely wonderful.

Wish I had got my camera with me.

Best plane ever in my opinion. ! The sound it makes as it flys is lovely to hear.

Unfortunately, didn't see the Spitfire but had the Red Arrows fly really close overhead earlier (S21). Both at the Armed Forces day in Scarborough so guess that's where they were travelling to/from.

Saw it fly over Deepcar, just managed to grab my binocs for a look, great sound too.

The Spitfire was one of the greatest fighters ever built. It was designed and built just at the right time to accomplish its mission of containing the Luftwaffe assault of the British Isles, prior to Germany's planned invasion.

Moreover, the Spitfire was able to contain the Messerschmitt Me 109 fighter, Germany's pre-eminent fighter at the time. Adolph Galland who became General of the Luftwaffe in 1944, and was a battle of Britain survivor. He was asked by Goering, Hitler's right hand man, at the height of the battle, what he needed to defeat the British. Galland bravely answered, "Squadrons of Spitfires." Obviously he did not get them and the Luftwaffe lost the battle. The Spitfire went into immortality.

The Spitfire was one of the greatest fighters ever built. It was designed and built just at the right time to accomplish its mission of containing the Luftwaffe assault of the British Isles, prior to Germany's planned invasion.

Moreover, the Spitfire was able to contain the Messerschmitt Me 109 fighter, Germany's pre-eminent fighter at the time. Adolph Galland who became General of the Luftwaffe in 1944, and was a battle of Britain survivor. He was asked by Goering, Hitler's right hand man, at the height of the battle, what he needed to defeat the British. Galland bravely answered, "Squadrons of Spitfires." Obviously he did not get them and the Luftwaffe lost the battle. The Spitfire went into immortality.

Ironically the almost forgotten, Hawker Hurricane, shot down more German planes than the Spitfire did.

Flew over Rotherham for Armed Forces Day, three passes then away. Sounded fantastic. Should have been Lancaster but it appears to have been out of service.

Its the Spitfire that grabs all the glory but it was the Hurricanes that did the business in WW2.

Its the Spitfire that grabs all the glory but it was the Hurricanes that did the business in WW2.

That is so true , as I mentioned earlier. I saw a show about it once and the numbers aren't even close.

I feel a bit like that about George Harrison and the Beatles.