Adder near Crosspool A57

Myself, my wife and our friends enjoy walking and obviously the weather today has delivered the opportunity for a good walk, an opportunity which we duly accepted.

We take regular walks out in the peak district therefore we have seen a good few snakes out in the peaks however I have to admit that I was quite astonished today when our friend spotted an adder basking in the sunshine, near the garden centre which is on the A57 ( a stones throw from a busy Crosspool). Might I add that there is no question that the snake was indeed an adder as my friend had binoculars and had a good look at it.

A have reported and logged the sighting on the relevant sites and have since learnt that adders have been previously spotted not all that far away from where we saw ours today. Most of the sightings to date however have been a little more rural and out towards the peak district.

I guess the reason I am telling you guys on here really is to serve as a warning for those who walk dogs around these parts as inquisitive dogs are more likely to come a cropper to adder bites as opposed to humans.

I wish not to cause any unrest or alarm by writing this. While it may have shocked us to have seen an adder so close to an urban location, you have to remember that adders are equally as scared of us as we are them. They are more likely to run away than attack humans and only strike when they feel alarmed or threatened in any way.

Edited by charmingman

Thanks Charmingman I have never see one be we will look out for them it all adds up in the end :hihi:

Sorry could not resist :)

I thought I'd spotted a dead adder that appeared as if it'd accidentally slithered at speed into a concrete kerb stone near the Bolehills a couple of weeks ago (thus rendering it deceased). Turned out to be an extraordinarily long dog poo on closer inspection.

I've seen a few in Norfolk, they just usually go on their way if left.

But you're right dogs are inquisitive, and a bite can make them quite Ill if not fatal

I thought I'd spotted a dead adder that appeared as if it'd accidentally slithered at speed into a concrete kerb stone near the Bolehills a couple of weeks ago (thus rendering it deceased). Turned out to be an extraordinarily long dog poo on closer inspection.

:huh:

Hmmm... even so, this is an extremely rare sighting Mr Alco...

... the suburban dog poo (excrementus unpleasantus) is normally only found in its preferred natural environment of hanging from parkland trees in its plastic bag cocoon... :gag:

:huh:

Hmmm... even so, this is an extremely rare sighting Mr Alco...

... the suburban dog poo (excrementus unpleasantus) is normally only found in its preferred natural environment of hanging from parkland trees in its plastic bag cocoon... :gag:

Not on the Bolehills it isn't Mr Bloke. If you mistook dog poo for snakes, it'd resemble that scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indiana climbs down into the Egyptian tomb.

Unless you own a large leather whip, I'd strongly advise people to steer clear of the Bolehills, especially considering there's no Lost Ark in the immediate vicinity (I've checked).

:hihi:

D'oh!

I've just got it...

... A57 is the Snake Pass init? :D

I didn't know snakes could run :hihi:

:hihi:

D'oh!

I've just got it...

... A57 is the Snake Pass init? :D

Interesingly, the Snake Pass got it's name because in olden days the approach was guarded by snakes to prevent the Yorkshire folk from attempting to cross the Pennines and get as far as Lancashire. Many local hero's fought but never defeated the snakes, and the only one to get as far as Featherbed top was my ancestor Major Denis Bloodnok, IND. ARM. RTD. coward and bar.

The type of Snake used is a matter of much debate, however the latin for Crosspool is Adderus Snakium, so could they have been Adders??

Interesingly, the Snake Pass got it's name because in olden days the approach was guarded by snakes to prevent the Yorkshire folk from attempting to cross the Pennines and get as far as Lancashire. Many local hero's fought but never defeated the snakes, and the only one to get as far as Featherbed top was my ancestor Major Denis Bloodnok, IND. ARM. RTD. coward and bar.

The type of Snake used is a matter of much debate, however the latin for Crosspool is Adderus Snakium, so could they have been Adders??

I believe the Snake Pass is so called because it was owned by The Duek of Norfolk whose heraldci symbol has a snake on it.

I once had a snake on the front of my car as I travelled home in heavy rain - luckily for me it was a windscreen viper.

I'm here all week