Sheffield people I need your help please

Having paid a builder (so he said) from this forum £1500 upfront for materials, he's disappeared. Now I'm in limbo because not only is the job started by him, he's left it and it's a hazard waiting to happen.

Because he took my money I'm now struggling to find extra to get the job finished. Does anyone of you lovely people know of any charities who help disabled people who are left in this predicament? Private replies only please ...thankyou for your time

that is truly awfull could you contact a tv station as they help people in need like this is his name dom,worth a call,people like that are scum,taking money off disabled people

cant the police help.

Did he give you a name.Probably false but it is a starting point to try and find him.

Guest sibon

Have you contacted the police?

Or trading standards.

You could search for all the rogue builder/makeover type programmes and email them to see if they could help you.

Sheffield Trading Standards investigate rogue trading and doorstep criminality.

If users have an issue or any information regarding incidents of this type, please report either to Citizens Advice Bureau on 03454 04 05 06 who will pass the information to us or you can email direct to trading.standards@sheffield.gov.uk.

Will the police not investigate what is also effectively the theft of the money?

So you've basically given a bloke 1.5k for nothing? Why would somebody do that.

Is it the norm to give a "builder" his cash up front before starting the work?

Guest sibon
So you've basically given a bloke 1.5k for nothing? Why would somebody do that.

Is it the norm to give a "builder" his cash up front before starting the work?

I've paid up front for materials in the past. Never in cash though. I always transfer directly into the builders account. That way at least I have some knowledge of where the money has gone.

I've paid up front for materials in the past. Never in cash though. I always transfer directly into the builders account. That way at least I have some knowledge of where the money has gone.

Okay. And is that the norm for how this kind of trade goes? Say for instance I wanted a shed building. Would I be expected to give the bloke cash up front first?

Guest sibon
Okay. And is that the norm for how this kind of trade goes? Say for instance I wanted a shed building. Would I be expected to give the bloke cash up front first?

I don't know. The last time I did it, was to pay for my new kitchen units, work tops and appliances. Then I paid for the fitting once it had been completed.

You should get police on it and SF should have his ip address so he can be found.