Towering inferno in London

This looks horrific. It's not something you hear about happening on this scale.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-london-40239008

It looks as though the cladding on the out side is on fire .

High rise buildings through out Britain have been subject to having the brick facia panels covered up by cladding , not a good move in my opinion .

Absolutely horrifying you can't imagine the terror of those trapped on upper floors. There will be a lot of fatalities :(

Blimey that looks dreadful.

:(

It's not surprising that 'building companies' make decisions which will cut costs and up profits. What I find perplexing is how it passed building control. Whatch this space and you're likely to hear the term "kickback" used.

Heads are about to roll. Terrible state of affairs.

There was a blog post last year predicting this -

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/

It is our conviction that a serious fire in a tower block or similar high density residential property is the most likely reason that those who wield power at the KCTMO will be found out and brought to justice! The Grenfell Action Group believe that the KCTMO narrowly averted a major fire disaster at Grenfell Tower in 2013 when residents experienced a period of terrifying power surges that were subsequently found to have been caused by faulty wiring. We believe that our attempts to highlight the seriousness of this event were covered up by the KCTMO with the help of the RBKC Scrutiny Committee who refused to investigate the legitimate concerns of tenants and leaseholders.

Fire alarms either didn't go off at all or only in hallways. no sprinkler system or one that failed. The cladding was not fire-retardant hence it went up so quickly... all that with a fire starting in the dead of night is a recipe for a huge disaster. Speculation in some sources now that it was a faulty fridge that cause the fire... scary stuff that a building this size can burn down so quickly due to an electrical fault.

This is the stuff nightmares are made of. A lot of evidence that the housing association commissioning the work is largely at fault here, heads will roll no doubt.

It's showing the pictures from the night, when the whole thing was up in flames, I wonder what time that was, i.e. how long it took to get to that stage? One flat to that is just unbelievable.

Let's hope most got out. The advice to stay put, could be a big factor. It certainly goes against natural instinct.

Fire alarms either didn't go off at all or only in hallways. no sprinkler system or one that failed. The cladding was not fire-retardant hence it went up so quickly... all that with a fire starting in the dead of night is a recipe for a huge disaster. Speculation in some sources now that it was a faulty fridge that cause the fire... scary stuff that a building this size can burn down so quickly due to an electrical fault.

This is the stuff nightmares are made of. A lot of evidence that the housing association commissioning the work is largely at fault here, heads will roll no doubt.

I'm staggered the cladding wasnt fire retardant. I'd have thought it would have been harder to find stuff that isn't. Manufacturing issue maybe?

The vile post that someone posted has been removed. People have died. Have some respect or don't post.

It looks as though the cladding on the out side is on fire .

High rise buildings through out Britain have been subject to having the brick facia panels covered up by cladding , not a good move in my opinion .

It's supposed to be fire retardant, there are early reports that the landlord has fitted cladding that didn't conform to the standards.

It's supposed to be fire retardant, there are early reports that the landlord has fitted cladding that didn't conform to the standards.

Let us hope that our Sheffield high rise buildings that have been cladded are fire proof