Sponsoring a local athlete. Where to start?

Hello everyone.

I am needing advice on finding sponsorship for a very talented young girl.

She is only 13 and has been chosen to represent her country in the sport of K1 Kickboxing. Sadly she was unable to attend this year due to financial reasons. Bluntly put I couldn't afford to send her.

She has been earmarked to go again next year and as you can imagine she is thrilled at the prospect but I know that unless I find some sponsorship I will have to disappoint her again

I want to avoid this so I have sent out numerous emails to various companies (local and national) but have had very little luck.

I may be doing it wrong or people may not want to sponsor a full contact sport, I dont know.

So I was rather hoping that the good people of Sheffield forum could either give me some tips to secure some financial help. Or If you own a business or work for one that could be interested in sponsoring a very bright future prospect let me know?

This girl really is going places, to look at her you would think butter wouldnt melt but she really is one tough little cookie.

Someone recommended a go fund me type thing but I dont want to go the charity type of route. Call it pride or whatever but I would much rather give someone something in return for their faith in this future star.

Having read the rules of the forum I believe I cant reply to personal messages until I have amassed 5 (i think) posts so if someone messages me about this and I dont answer right away please do not think Im being rude, I just wont have got the number of posts needed to reply yet.

Obviously If anyone posts on this thread I will reply asap.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

K1Machine!

Where are these Championships? Have you got a link with more information??

Imvho you should just keep doing what you're doing but it seems a shame no company has given her a sponsor.

Where are these Championships? Have you got a link with more information??

Imvho you should just keep doing what you're doing but it seems a shame no company has given her a sponsor.

Thanks for your reply.

This years were in Athens,

Next year the Ukraine. If she goes she should do really well.

Edit, it wont let me post a link until I have 5 posts but Google ISKA World Amateur Championships 2017 :thumbsup:

I managed to get her a small amount of sponsorship a little while back but as its early days in her career the company wont commit to loads of financing which I totally understand and we are both really grateful for what they did give. It got her some essential items and a massive boost to her confidence :-)

Edited by K1Machine

Any family members or friends in business than can provide sponsorship in exchange for her wearing a small logo?

I believe the business would be given tax breaks for providing sponsorship as well as receiving a little exposure. Perhaps a tax expert can clarify? Sit down Penistone999...

Guest makapaka
Hello everyone.

I am needing advice on finding sponsorship for a very talented young girl.

She is only 13 and has been chosen to represent her country in the sport of K1 Kickboxing. Sadly she was unable to attend this year due to financial reasons. Bluntly put I couldn't afford to send her.

She has been earmarked to go again next year and as you can imagine she is thrilled at the prospect but I know that unless I find some sponsorship I will have to disappoint her again

I want to avoid this so I have sent out numerous emails to various companies (local and national) but have had very little luck.

I may be doing it wrong or people may not want to sponsor a full contact sport, I dont know.

So I was rather hoping that the good people of Sheffield forum could either give me some tips to secure some financial help. Or If you own a business or work for one that could be interested in sponsoring a very bright future prospect let me know?

This girl really is going places, to look at her you would think butter wouldnt melt but she really is one tough little cookie.

Someone recommended a go fund me type thing but I dont want to go the charity type of route. Call it pride or whatever but I would much rather give someone something in return for their faith in this future star.

Having read the rules of the forum I believe I cant reply to personal messages until I have amassed 5 (i think) posts so if someone messages me about this and I dont answer right away please do not think Im being rude, I just wont have got the number of posts needed to reply yet.

Obviously If anyone posts on this thread I will reply asap.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

K1Machine!

Could you have a look at one of those crowd funding things.

If it's targeted right maybe other people involved in kickboxing would donate amongst other friends / family etc?

Any family members or friends in business than can provide sponsorship in exchange for her wearing a small logo?

I believe the business would be given tax breaks for providing sponsorship as well as receiving a little exposure. Perhaps a tax expert can clarify? Sit down Penistone999...

Depends, if it benefits the business. I.e. can it be classed as advertising then you can write it off as an expense. But you have to prove that it was of benefit to the business.

I don't think a local business advertising at an event in Ukraine would pass that test?

I'd second the crowd funding route as well. You are more likely to get 1000 people donating £5 than 1 person donating £5k. Can her club help with fundraising? Surely the other kids and parents would be happy to give a few pounds to assist, as well as other kickboxing or MMA clubs in Sheffield?

Depends, if it benefits the business. I.e. can it be classed as advertising then you can write it off as an expense. But you have to prove that it was of benefit to the business.

I don't think a local business advertising at an event in Ukraine would pass that test?

I was thinking of snooker players with their little logos on their waistcoats.

Might be amusing for the owner of "Barry the Plumber and Sons" or whatever to suddenly get website hits from Ukraine :)

---------- Post added 14-06-2017 at 14:13 ----------

I'd second the crowd funding route as well. You are more likely to get 1000 people donating £5 than 1 person donating £5k. Can her club help with fundraising? Surely the other kids and parents would be happy to give a few pounds to assist, as well as other kickboxing or MMA clubs in Sheffield?

I would have thought so, if she has been selected to represent her country as the OP stated.

Hi, Unfortunately I dont know anyone personally who owns a business. Ive been asking local businesses without success

I think some people are put of because its a contact sport but I will keep trying.:)

---------- Post added 15-06-2017 at 22:15 ----------

Could you have a look at one of those crowd funding things.

If it's targeted right maybe other people involved in kickboxing would donate amongst other friends / family etc?

I seriously would not know the first thing about setting one of these up let alone doing it properly.

Im a bit of a technophobe. In my defense I can still program a VCR :-D

---------- Post added 15-06-2017 at 22:18 ----------

The benefit would be getting their name seen around the country as well as internationally as well as knowing they are helping a young girl with some learning difficulties become a World Champ. I only mention the learning difficulties to give people some idea of the obstacles she has overcome.

I only took her kickboxing less than 2 years ago because she was a target for bullies due to being small and these extra needs she has

She is an awesome girl who is really going places. Im proud to be her Dad

---------- Post added 15-06-2017 at 22:19 ----------

Other clubs would probably not help as she is in direct competition with their fighters. The crow funding sounds good but as I mentioned I really have no Idea how to do this kind of thing

Yes, Im a bit thick lol

If anyone is able to give me some tips on crowd funding or even have the time or the talent to help me do it I would be forever in their debt.

Edited by K1Machine

Hi, Unfortunately I dont know anyone personally who owns a business. Ive been asking local businesses without success

I think some people are put of because its a contact sport but I will keep trying.:)

---------- Post added 15-06-2017 at 22:15 ----------

I seriously would not know the first thing about setting one of these up let alone doing it properly.

Im a bit of a technophobe. In my defense I can still program a VCR :-D

---------- Post added 15-06-2017 at 22:18 ----------

The benefit would be getting their name seen around the country as well as internationally as well as knowing they are helping a young girl with some learning difficulties become a World Champ. I only mention the learning difficulties to give people some idea of the obstacles she has overcome.

I only took her kickboxing less than 2 years ago because she was a target for bullies due to being small and these extra needs she has

She is an awesome girl who is really going places. Im proud to be her Dad

---------- Post added 15-06-2017 at 22:19 ----------

Other clubs would probably not help as she is in direct competition with their fighters. The crow funding sounds good but as I mentioned I really have no Idea how to do this kind of thing

Yes, Im a bit thick lol

If anyone is able to give me some tips on crowd funding or even have the time or the talent to help me do it I would be forever in their debt.

Setup a page on here: http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/

Put the amount you want to raise and details of what its for.

Spread the link as much as you can via facebook, twitter, on here. See if you can get in touch with some kickboxing or MMA 'celebs' via twitter, see if they would retweet it for you (means to send on the link from their account so all their followers see it. Great way to get loads of exposure quickly). I'm not in the kickboxing MMA world so don't know any names to target but I'm sure the girl would know famous people from her own sport.

Thank you for your reply and sorry for taking ages to respond.

A word to the wise, coffee and keyboards dont mix. :-(

Ive been looking into the crowdfunder thing and whilst i have still been sending out emails and making calls I think it could be a goer.

If I manage to set one up, will Sheffield Forum allow me to put a link on here do you think?

Thanks again for taking the time to offer advice. Its appreciated :)