The Handmaid's Tale. Anybody watching?

Just wondered if anybody's watching 'The Handmaid's Tale' (Sundays Channel 4,) as I'm surprised no one has started a thread on it.

Slow start in episodes 1 and 2, but crikey, things heated up in episode 3. A lot of the back story is coming out through a series of flashbacks, and it's this that I find so fascinating: how the totalitarian state sort of crept up on people until it was too late to stop it.

Interesting, thought provoking stuff. What do you think?

I'm watching it, I haven't caught up with episode 3 yet but I have read the book, many years ago. I think its an excellent adaptation but my OH, who hasn't read the book, is finding it hard to follow. Considering how long ago it was written it's a remarkably prescient description of a Taliban/ ISIS-like theocracy albeit one based on puritanical Christianity.

Yep, been watching it on a US source so I'm up to episode 10. Its very good, a slow burner, but does improve.

There's a few issues to the main plot which don't make sense and aren't explained very well though.

I'm watching it, I haven't caught up with episode 3 yet but I have read the book, many years ago. I think its an excellent adaptation but my OH, who hasn't read the book, is finding it hard to follow. Considering how long ago it was written it's a remarkably prescient description of a Taliban/ ISIS-like theocracy albeit one based on puritanical Christianity.

I haven't read the book either but I've had no problem following the story.

I think it's an excellent series so far.

As is the nature of these things, I'll wait until season 12 is over then watch the box set. Ps loved the book, just don't like modern TV adaptations going on forever. The man in the high castle 24 anybody?

This was written in a similar sort of vein as The Children of Men, from P D James, and at about the same sort of time historically when the future did indeed look rather bleak, for a whole selection of reasons.

The adaptation looks really good so far, which is pleasant bearing in mind how many series in recent years have torn up and ignored their source material in the guise of 'reimagination'.

I've not seen it but I think OfSheffvlad has been watching. :hihi:

This was written in a similar sort of vein as The Children of Men, from P D James, and at about the same sort of time historically when the future did indeed look rather bleak, for a whole selection of reasons.

Probaby why I like it so much since that's one of the favourite films.

I sat down to watch the first episode after being conned by all the hype … I turned it off after about thirteen seconds. I know this is fiction, but really?

The opening sequence plainly showed a Volvo doing about 40mph whilst being chased by Police (I presume they were Police, I didn't get that far) in what was obviously either computer generated, or just speeded up film! Talk about stretching the bounds of credibility … everyone knows Volvo's can't do more than 5mph.

It may have stood up if it showed the Volvo going flat out at 5mph with the Police running after it (with their legs tied together). Rubbish! :loopy:

I watched first 5 episodes. I taught that this is a slow burner and that things will progress later.

So far, nothing, yes it's totalitarian regime led by religious fanatics, women are second class, handmaids only live to procreate. Realization is just boring. Same scene of forced sex all over again (ceremony) in every episode, same dialogues (and monologue of main character).

I am surprised by 9 and 10/10 score on the reviews.

Edited by Guest