No to Austerity!

Austerity politics has been rejected! We can hope for a fairer politics, hope for social responsibility, and hope for a more responsible approach to our negotiations with Europe. We have much to celebrate!

I think that is what it is about, yes. I don't think it was anything to do with any flavour of Brexit. We have had seven years of cuts and people have had enough of it. May was offering only more of the same.

Corbyn was offering something. He got back a lot of the old Labour vote who had switched to UKIP by wanting to re-nationalise the railways, the electric, the gas, and the water companies. Outside the London bubble, these are popular policies! He offered to get rid of zero hour contracts, to get rid of the gig economy, to reinstate worker's rights, to get rid of student loans. He offered something, she offered nothing.

Where it leaves us now God only knows. Another election inside a year? May to resign? Ruth Davison for Tory leader?

Austerity politics has been rejected! We can hope for a fairer politics, hope for social responsibility, and hope for a more responsible approach to our negotiations with Europe. We have much to celebrate!

The Tories won, and they had a very poor campaign.

I think that is what it is about, yes. I don't think it was anything to do with any flavour of Brexit. We have had seven years of cuts and people have had enough of it. May was offering only more of the same.

Corbyn was offering something. He got back a lot of the old Labour vote who had switched to UKIP by wanting to re-nationalise the railways, the electric, the gas, and the water companies. Outside the London bubble, these are popular policies! He offered to get rid of zero hour contracts, to get rid of the gig economy, to reinstate worker's rights, to get rid of student loans. He offered something, she offered nothing.

Where it leaves us now God only knows. Another election inside a year? May to resign? Ruth Davison for Tory leader?

He offered all that and still lost by loads.

LOADS!

The Tories won, and they had a very poor campaign.

I am not convinced of that. UK left side is chopped in several parties while conservative is only one party.

This makes fair voting impossible in the current system. It may look like tories win but it is through an old fashioned unfair voting system. You should put the votes from the whole country against the seats and there are big differences in representation

Why don't they change it? Cause if they did tories would be pushed even further to the background.

Tories did have a poor campaign. Only six weeks, that's not enough for national elections especially when announced so suddenly unexpectedly and interrupted by terror attacks.

Revenge of the young after Brexit I think.

---------- Post added 09-06-2017 at 11:11 ----------

I am not convinced of that. UK left side is chopped in several parties while conservative is only one party.

They are chopped because they fundamentally do not agree on a majority of issues. Politics is won on the centre ground and May has moved the Cons to the right away from this.

This makes fair voting impossible in the current system. It may look like tories win but it is through an old fashioned unfair voting system. You should put the votes from the whole country against the seats and there are big differences in representation

Why don't they change it? Cause if they did tories would be pushed even further to the background.

Tories did have a poor campaign. Only six weeks, that's not enough for national elections especially when announced so suddenly unexpectedly and interrupted by terror attacks.

Tories won the popular vote too.

Tories won the popular vote too.

Yes but they get proportionally more seats. If the system were fair and proportional tories only get six or seven more seats than labour.

SNP has less than a million voters but gets 35 seats, liberal dem 2.3 million votes only gets 12 seats.

Edited by dutch

Revenge of the young after Brexit I think.

---------- Post added 09-06-2017 at 11:11 ----------

They are chopped because they fundamentally do not agree on a majority of issues. Politics is won on the centre ground and May has moved the Cons to the right away from this.

I'd agree, Labour seems to have the majority of it's gains in largely remain areas. Young voter turnout increased significantly. (probably due to the promise of scrapping tuition fees / scrapping student debt)

A very good campaign by Corbyn, and no campaign by May.

Those hoping for an end to Austerity might still be disappointed.

Had the boundary changes due next year already taken place, which would make each constituency fairer, I think the Conservatives would had a majority (Just).

How did that happen? Maybe because there never was a right wing conspiracy huh?

But somehow I doubt you have it in you to admit you are silly for thinking otherwise.

How did that happen? Maybe because there never was a right wing conspiracy huh?

But somehow I doubt you have it in you to admit you are silly for thinking otherwise.

Im no lefty, but the front pages of most of the press on Wednesday were proper hatchet jobs on Corbyn. I cant call it a conspiracy as it was too obvious!

I think Indyref2 is definately off the table now, wee Nicky took a bit of a pasting and the tories had a bit of swing upwards, possibly because scotland really really dont want another referendum.