L/line B/band package versus tethering option.

It`s renewal time and I`m not sure whether to go ahead or jack it in, and try the tethering method from a mobile data allowance. A provider told me today that my mobile data allowance of 500mb would be gone in minutes if used to tether my desktop or tablet device.

I could get a better data allowance on the mobile, but don`t really know the amount of data I would need. Very occasionally I DL a short YT vid, and the rest of the usage is either on here or on a cycling or garden forum. Basically about 2 to 3 hrs per day. What sort of data allowance would I require?

Tethering for your 'main and only' internet connection is not recommended, you will likely hit your data limit in a few days via a desktop...

The difference is, mobile sites are actually smaller file size, and often compressed, and various other things going on to make them faster and use less data...

as for desktop, they just don't bother....

The best thing you can do, is download something and see how much data you use currently on your desktop, monitor for a few days, take the average, use that as your daily, and multiply by 30....

But with mobile broadband being so expensive, and limited, it just wouldn't be worth it imho...

fine as a backup, or temporary, but I wouldn't EVER rely on it for a main and only connection...

OK thanks for that. I`m probably best just biting the bullet and paying the £21. That is anytime calls 24/7, unlimited BB, plus 1000mins to mobiles per month. Fiver per week basically. Thanks.:thumbsup:

OK thanks for that. I`m probably best just biting the bullet and paying the £21. That is anytime calls 24/7, unlimited BB, plus 1000mins to mobiles per month. Fiver per week basically. Thanks.:thumbsup:

That doesn't seem a bad price. Who is it with?

Is there a company who offer line rental, unlimited broadband, anytime calls and 1000 minutes per month to mobile telephone calls for £21 per month? That figure will probably be minus line rental.

Line rental isn't supposed to be a separate charge anymore though