Is it safe to holiday in Muslim countries now?

It has probably never been so unsafe for a person from a western country to visit predominantly Muslim countries today, especially those in the Middle East. Why do British people potentially put themselves at risk just to seek sunshine? There are many tourist destinations that offer good weather without the risk of possible terrorism, isn't it time the public started being more responsible and safety aware rather than going to dangerous locations and then screaming 'why hasn't our government done something' when anything happens?

It has probably never been so unsafe for a person from a western country to visit predominantly Muslim countries today, especially those in the Middle East. Why do British people potentially put themselves at risk just to seek sunshine? There are many tourist destinations that offer good weather without the risk of possible terrorism, isn't it time the public started being more responsible and safety aware rather than going to dangerous locations and then screaming 'why hasn't our government done something' when anything happens?

You got a point but I'm sure you could go on the foreign office website and get a report on how or unsafe a place is if you can be bothered to do so. However london is a big target and we all know what happened in France last year. The threat of terrorism (or a natural disaster) is practically everywhere.

Personally I wouldn't risk taking my family to one of those hellholes, or anywhere in the vicinity. I've never been into "cheap sun" holidays anyway though.

I was in Turkey last month. Felt safer there than I do on a night out in Sheffield..

A terrorist attack could happen anywhere in the world at anytime, and obviously nobody wants to be a victim to this, but why should the majority of the world give in to the evil minority.

There are some beautiful and extraordinary places to visit in the Middle East and it would be a shame for innocent people to miss out on visiting such places.

Also as we all know terrorist and extremist attacks have happened in the USA, Bali, Spain, France and in the UK in recent years. Who knows where and when it will happen next.

Since 2007, 78% of all terrorist attacks have happened in 10 countries – Iraq 30%, Pakistan 13% , Afghanistan 11%, India 7%, Thailand 4%,

Russia 3%, Somalia2%, Nigeria 2%, Yemen 2% and Colombia 2% (in this order).

In 2015, this is liable to change. Russia and Colombia have seen a notable decline,

while Libya and Egypt standout as having seen significant increases. Terrorist groups grow and threaten to sustain heightened conflict and terrorism risks.

Presumably that would get Tunisia up to c3-4%

If you look at this Daily Star Map (yes I know DS, but its Jul 2015), where they have transferred the FCO threat levels then the safest places are Central Africa, Eastern Europe and Scandinavia. Looking at the map youd think there were great risks everyhwere, but its more about risk perception.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/travel-news-cheap-uk-holidays-luxury-breaks-more-daily-star/451454/Tunisia-terror-attack-safe-holiday-destinations-British-tourists

The Tunis attack cost 38 peoples lives and although thats a tragedy, thats just under 1 death per per million holidays according to the ONS for 2014.

Last year 1800 people were killed on the roads.

509,000 people died in the UK in 2013

The most common causes cancer 147,000, circulatory disease 142,000, respiratory disease 76000.

The point is your chances of actually being involved in a terrorist attack are very low.

Not quite sure why youd want to go to the Middle east, except on business, but I suppose Jordan and Egtpt have established tourism as well as Dubai if you like shopping.

One of the deal clinchers is price. You makes your choice and takes your risk. The risk is still very low compared to 40 million holidaymakers. Id expect more people to have died by misadventure, drowning, getting lost falling down mountains etc.

Edited by 999tigger

The UK have suspended all flights to and from Sharm El Sheikh as from today...........

The UK have suspended all flights to and from Sharm El Sheikh as from today...........

Until they figure out whether it was a bomb and how it got on board. Its changes the topic about how safe is air travel.

There has been a knife attack in Morocco today. I think 4 people have been badly hurt.

Anyone who goes to one of these countries now is mad. I wouldn't even go to Turkey now.

How long have we got in the UK before we become one of "these" countries?

How long have we got in the UK before we become one of "these" countries?

One of what countries?

The tourists were German.

Its unclear what the attack was about at this stage.

One of what countries?

The tourists were German.

Its unclear what the attack was about at this stage.

There has been a knife attack in Morocco today. I think 4 people have been badly hurt.

Anyone who goes to one of these countries now is mad. I wouldn't even go to Turkey now.

These......