Hillsborough Morrisons car park

Why would the council wish to deter people from using the local shops by encouraging local businesses to remove free parking facilities?

If that's true and you have evidence, you should go to the press.

And yet I still don't believe that SCC have anything to do with the changes in the Morrisons car park.

The council, if involved at all, would want free parking stopping because it has a negative effect on the profit made from nearby council owned charged parking.

The chargeable parking the council claim is not there to make a profit, but to ease areas where parking is limited.

You'd think therefore having a large free car park would also resolve the issue, wouldn't you...

I thought Morrison's was a tennant just like the other retailers, the Barracks itself belonging to the MOD.

Edited by beansforyou

So I've had a look this morning, there is a small Black & white sign as you enter the top car park.

It's worded quite carefully, and it sounds as if Morrison & Parking Eye are monitoring what they are calling 'dwell time' in the car park for the time being, as there is nothing mentioned about a time limit to park.

I can also confirm there is also a camera on the entrance to the bottom tier of the car park.

And yet I still don't believe that SCC have anything to do with the changes in the Morrisons car park.

Council haven't had any involvement.

So I've had a look this morning, there is a small Black & white sign as you enter the top car park.

It's worded quite carefully, and it sounds as if Morrison & Parking Eye are monitoring what they are calling 'dwell time' in the car park for the time being, as there is nothing mentioned about a time limit to park.

I can also confirm there is also a camera on the entrance to the bottom tier of the car park.

Keep an eye out for extra signs, if they wish to enforce parking restrictions they need clear and prominently displayed signs.

Several cases have fell through when it was shown the signs weren't clear, or were not visible to car park users.

---------- Post added 23-06-2017 at 10:29 ----------

You'd think so but its amazing how many people get caught daily. If you're on Facebook, look at the "Angry People in Local Newspapers" page, its full of numpties crying to the newspaper because they can't follow instructions or see double yellow lines.

http://www.clactonandfrintongazette.co.uk/news/15357620.Irate_drivers_threatening_to_boycott_car_park_over_unfair_fines_might_be_owed_a_refund/

You can sympathise with the first one, if the sign says "Free parking for 3 hours" then 99% of people will think no more.

Having some small print saying you need to type your number plate into the ticket machine is a right old con.

I refuse to park in car parks owned/monitored by these parking company parasites, so that probably means I won't park in there in future. Their loss. If other people did the same then Morrisons would soon have a rethink.

All I know is that the car park has been sold and cameras have been put up in the top car park which is where the boy racers go.

Up to now I haven't seen any signs up about how long you can park but I'm keeping my eyes open.

Are the boy racers still at it? If so, that has been going on for years, why hasn't it been stopped? My OH was nearly mown down about 10 years ago when she was pregnant with our first.

The cameras in morrisons are not parking cameras they are vehicle number plate recognition cameras used by police to track car registration plates for uses like tax and illegal vehicles.

The cameras in morrisons are not parking cameras they are vehicle number plate recognition cameras used by police to track car registration plates for uses like tax and illegal vehicles.

Parking cameras use ANPR to log entry and exit times, to see if a vehicle has over stayed.

My Mrs has been shopping there today and asked at the service counter .there is no time limit on parking .

Are the boy racers still at it? If so, that has been going on for years, why hasn't it been stopped? My OH was nearly mown down about 10 years ago when she was pregnant with our first.

They close the gates to the car park 30 minutes after the store closes, at least that's what the signs say on entering.

---------- Post added 27-06-2017 at 14:16 ----------

I work for a SY council so have a very good idea of what goes on and what doesn't. Daily, we / they work towards generating more money for town centers (Rotherham and Sheffield for instance) and by doing so, ideas of generating that money are floated around. Asking 2 or 3 private businesses to tighten up on their parking policies is not a conspiracy theory ffs. Like I say, I know more about the Rotherham cases than Sheffield.

I'm getting attacked from several angles here and I'm confused and frustrated. I've reported 1 or 2 people in this thread.

I've clearly made my stance. I work for a council (not Sheffield) and we have been reaching out to places for years in regards to them tightening up their parking policies. No, we've never told them to "shut down their car park" so I can't relate to this particular Morrisons. The login behind it, well, there's lots of logic to it, but one of the primary reasons and what I believe, is to enforce less free parking so people can't just park in a supermarkets car park, get out, and walk to the local shops / area.

I'm not here for any arguments. I'm offering insight. If you don't want to take it, please don't bad mouth me.

Thank you.

I'm sorry, I don't see any logic here. How does preventing people from parking attract them to the shops to spend money?

Edited by barleycorn