Laptop recommendations

Any advice welcome. I currently have a Toshiba Satellite 855-149 which is getting past it's best. I need to replace it but the new one has to have the facility for me to easily transfer everything from the old one.

It is used mainly for surfing, I run a Sage program on it, don't store much else on it apart from word docs and a very few photo's. I can't remember the last time I used the CD/DVD drive but it is handy to have.

This one wasn't that cheap and to be honest has been ok but could have lasted longer, this has put me off paying too much for a replacement. It would be good if the replacement had facility to plug an HDMI into a projector to get stuff on a big screen.

Any advice appreciated.

Noticed a couple of i7 lappys with SSD's and huge amounts of RAM on Gumtree for not a lot of money the other day, local too.

I wasn't posting on price, just what is deemed to be the current best ones. Always avoid Celeron/Sempon kit.

Thanks folks, can I assume all will allow me to easily transfer programs and files?

Two friends bought this Lenovo and are pleased with it. I set one of them up and it seemed good. I too have a Yoga but higher spec - i7 processor/8gb RAM and a 256gb SSD. Been very pleased with it so would recommend.

As for file transfer, it should be straightforward with W10 but you won't be able to transfer programmes.

Hello andrejuan,

You may want to use unstoppable file copier app running in administrator mode to copy all your files from one drive to another. The other way would be to clone your hard drive. You can clone you HDD to a new one but there may be problem of driver/base OS programs/installations support on a new system. It's easy to move files from one PC to another (pictures, music, videos , documents etc) but near impossible to move the installed apps.

Thanks

P.S. Also if you're going to buy new laptop I would steer well away from HP and ACER. They're well known because of overheating problems, even new HP Envy laptops was brought to us burning at 76 degrees idling. Asus, Lenovo and Dell's (especially XPS line) are the one's I'd trust.

Edited by eHallam
Extra info

Two friends bought this Lenovo and are pleased with it. I set one of them up and it seemed good. I too have a Yoga but higher spec - i7 processor/8gb RAM and a 256gb SSD. Been very pleased with it so would recommend.

Awful laptop, plagued with a fault that needs you to disconnect the battery.

All very well, but its sealed behind the rear bezel.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/YOGA-13-BLACK-SCREEN/td-p/1112673

Some very good info thanks all, it seems to be a minefield and easy to make an expensive mistake.

At least with retailers like John Lewis and the like, they will try and rectify problems within the warranty period.