Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

In the early 50's,i worked at park baths as lifeguard,also there was a scottish lady cleaner,who had a daughter that worked in a small bakery across from gunstones at the bottom of duke st.along with her girl friend.They came to swim 2 or 3 times a week.Can't remember the mother or daughters names,but the other girl was Monica Curnow and she lived on the manor around windy house lane and queen mary rd.wondered what became of them,the m&d came from walkley.Anyone know of a Ruby Mc Allin lived on hastilar,top slde of prince across from bowling greens?,took her to see Dickie Valantine.Funny what sticks in your memory,isn't it.?? clydesdale

P.S. never seen or heard from them since,hope they all fared well. clydesdale.

I was born on the manor 1932 on Harboro ave but moved to Archdale Rd were Iwent to Standhouse where Miss Hartley was Headmistress .1942 I went to Prince Edward where Pop Sefton presided leather strop and all.Some of the names I can remember are Walt Reaney,Pat Obrien.Barry Leonard,Hazel Nettleship and Margaret Balls and Roy Nolan.

Hi Alsuzy, only just joined the forum, hence the delay. My step father was born on Harborough Avenue at 119 in 1931, his parents were Bill & Anne Tarbatt. Sadly all deceased now. Bill worked at Davy United as did my step father Brian along with other members of the family. I believe my Mum met my Dad there. Next door to my grandparents at number 121 lived the Kirkbys I believe they had grown up children in the mid 50's. Hope this fills a few gaps for you.

Hello.I remember both your grandad and your step father.I shall be ever grateful to bill for getting me a apprenticeship at Davy United after thr war where I worked and was friends with yoour step-dad. Ask him if he remembers Don Steade and give him my best wishes and regards.

Hi JuStu, only just come across this forum and have been bringing my parents memories back to life with some of the wonderful stories I've been reading.

My mum was brought up next door to you at 19 Wulfric Place, although she was a good bit older than you. Her name was Brenda Wild, born 22.04.1937, and lived there until she was married in 1957. Mum had 2 brothers, George & Pete and a sister, June. My Gran (Annie Wild) still lived there until the 80's or 90's(?) when Wulfric Place was pulled down for redevelopment. Mum remembers your family and tells me that she remembers visiting your mum when she had just had a baby (might have been your younger brother or sister), but refusing to sit on the bed just in case it was catching!!

Mum went to Norfolk School as often as she could - she tells me that she couldn't always go as she didn't always have shoes to wear!

My Dad (Eric Bingham) was born 20.12.1934 and lived at 101 Archdale Road with brothers Jack, Keith, Brian & Roy and sisters Ethel, Irene, Maureen & Annie. There's so much that he remembers when reminded of the old school names - I'm going to have to speak to him at length to get it all recorded for posterity!

Dad went to Stand House school and can remember loads of names that people have mentioned on here and he was pals with the lad who got killed underneath the drain cleaner truck. He seemed to have numerous part time jobs as a kid, one was working at the Maypole, he earned 7 shillings and had to give 6 of it to his mother....another working at the chippy at Manor Top (where he got the sack for falling asleep - the owner said that he couldn't manage this job and his paper rounds as well).

Mum and dad married in 1957 at St Swithuns and lived in rooms at Darnall before moving to Hammerton Road, Hillsboro for a short time. They then moved back to live on Manor Park Drive around 1960. I (Andrew Bingham) arrived in the world in 1964 to join my big sister Katrina and we attended Manor Lane school - we lived on the Manor Park until 1971 when we moved up to the Newstead Estate at Birley to enjoy all the mod cons of central heating etc.

If anyone knows my mum or dad or other members of their family please let me know and I'll pass on your memories, but they've not got access to the internet so I'm busy printing these pages off for them - it's amazing what they can remember and I'll report more when I can.

Hello My name is don steade and I lived at 99 Archdale Rd and knew all of the Bingham family . Brian,Irene and Eric were playmates during the war years .I left home in 1950 to work away and didnt return until 1962 to live in Woodhouse.I last saw brian about 20 years ago but still remember all the times we had together.Please give all the family my regards and thanks for reviving happy memories

Hello My name is don steade and I lived at 99 Archdale Rd and knew all of the Bingham family . Brian,Irene and Eric were playmates during the war years .I left home in 1950 to work away and didnt return until 1962 to live in Woodhouse.I last saw brian about 20 years ago but still remember all the times we had together.Please give all the family my regards and thanks for reviving happy memories

Hi there. Although I did not live on the Manor Park for very long, my family did.

My sister was Carole Warrender. Does that inspire any memories?

Bernard Robinson was my grandad he passed away on January 22nd and Doris Robinson is my Nannan.

Edited by Loopylaura24
Wrong meaning

hi can anyone remember Bernard Robinson or Doris Hobson her brother edward hobson was tragically killed in an accident outside standhouse school would be lovely for a reply they lived at 189 queen mary road.

hi can anyone remember Bernard Robinson or Doris Hobson her brother edward hobson was tragically killed in an accident outside standhouse school would be lovely for a reply they lived at 189 queen mary road.

Was Edward the lad who was hit by a lorry?

Was Edward the lad who was hit by a lorry?

The little boy that was killed was Edward my nannans brother can you remember them x

i was born on the manor in 1972.. lived at archdale rd till 1982.. went to standhouse.. my parents lived on the manor on while growing up on morthall rd (bothe) they were Hearson and leek/crawshaw and my grandparents (bothe sets) lived on the manor...

Would your dad be called David Hearson ?

i was born on the manor in 1972.. lived at archdale rd till 1982.. went to standhouse.. my parents lived on the manor on while growing up on morthall rd (bothe) they were Hearson and leek/crawshaw and my grandparents (bothe sets) lived on the manor...

Would your dad be David Hearson and your ma Brenda Leek.??

Edited by King-29