Bathroom Megathread. Advice & recommendations - no quotes/advertising

Not that difficult to change a shower unit yourself if you have some sound DIY knowledge and some knowledge of electrical circuits.

For a shower unit of up to 7.5KW a 6mm Tw/e cable with a 32amp breaker is fine, above 7.5kw shower unit then you need to install a 10mm tw/e cable with a 45amp breaker.

Thanks for the messages and advice.

Just to add replies to some of the messages - I did think about getting a shower with the same kwh, but could not find one in the usual shops. The old shower is on 6mm cabling - there is a seperate pull cord switch. On the mcb its wired to 30amp fuse. As for the boiler - I'm sure the boiler is not a combi - as it was fitted in 1993.

Thanks for the messages and advice.

Just to add replies to some of the messages - I did think about getting a shower with the same kwh, but could not find one in the usual shops. The old shower is on 6mm cabling - there is a seperate pull cord switch. On the mcb its wired to 30amp fuse. As for the boiler - I'm sure the boiler is not a combi - as it was fitted in 1993.

It could be a combi as I bought my Worcester in 1994 and mine is still running sweetly.If you search the internet a comparable shower should be obtainable.

Its quite easy for you to tell if it is a combi or not. Do you have a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard? If not then it is a combi also if you have five or more pipes coming out the boiler then it will be a combi.

What size kw is the new shower is possible that the cable will not need upgrading?

Thanks again Paul

its probably the most commonly asked question , but will need a kitchen , and bathroom /shower /fireplace/in the next 4 weeks, does anyone know if its its best to get a fitter to supply labour, or let them get the stuff for you and make something for themselves, have a b and q trade card but cant understand the brochures,, theyre so complicated..in a nut shell looking for someone whos really good who after selling you the product has made something for themselves but it was cheaper than me buying at retail price:huh:

cheers andy, not sure if thats too late, was hoping to be in just after xmas

it better to get the professional to supply the part. it also easier and stress free just before christmas. can come and give u a quote to the job for kitchen and bathroom. yes it is true that it cheaper if u buy yourself. could save £££££££££££. more then u expected sometime. i be honest, one of my family member brought a kitchen to fit her size and it cost her altogether 800 pound and that even with tiles on wall and floor. hope ive helped.

its probably the most commonly asked question , but will need a kitchen , and bathroom /shower /fireplace/in the next 4 weeks, does anyone know if its its best to get a fitter to supply labour, or let them get the stuff for you and make something for themselves, have a b and q trade card but cant understand the brochures,, theyre so complicated..in a nut shell looking for someone whos really good who after selling you the product has made something for themselves but it was cheaper than me buying at retail price:huh:

Get a trade card for wickes as well you get points , when i refurbed one of our properties last year i bought the materials mostly from wickes as b&q seemed a bit dearer.

There are other places as well so do your research if you are buying materials yourself.

Also don't be shy and ask for a discount, i got an extra 10% off on top of the 30% off offer at the time on a kitchen, hob, oven etc.

Edited by mafya
added more

Hi all

We have a boiler and an electric shower. We're wanting a shower which uses a pump and brings water from the tank in the attic (which I'm told is possible and would give us more power than our electric shower).

Anyone suggest someone to fit and provide one?

Ta!

Edit........Sorry mis-read the post. Yes they are ok but you need a decent sized hot water cylinder to cope with the extra hot water that it uses.

Edited by handypandy

We had lots of work done by a sf member including Kitchen his number is 07771623872