Employment idea..

Three lines, thirtythree lines....I guess it comes down to the reader rather than the writer.

Either way, I'm still in my 60s, and offering the deal as in Post #1!

Unbelievably, the last time this aspect was mentioned at the Job Centre, the guide/advisor...nay..."Coach"...suggested that adding school examination results was superfluous.

My response, along the lines of "but the results prove that you were capable of achieving those results - whether they've since been useful or not is academic..." was...by and large...ignored!

I'm not going to get into a "bash the JC" discussion, but the above does go some way to prove that they exist, not to assist in finding you a job, but to achieve a reduction in the unemployment numbers.

I don't include GCSE results, and my A-levels just say the grades. I also have nothing about my degree beyond the title and result.

Early 60's, redundant since the middle of last year, and fed up with not even receiving acknowledgements to job applications, let alone interview invitations.

You and I both know what the problem is, of course, but let’s be realistic - no amount of legislation regarding “age discrimination” is going to make a blind bit of difference.

I've mixed thoughts about the use/purpose of the Job Centre, and the latest unemployment figures that are being bandied about.

Relatively well-educated, with a fair share of decent level GCE "O" Level passes (English Language and Maths included), I'm adaptable, conscientious, comparatively well-spoken, "computer literate" and in good health as far as I know...

I want a change.

I don't fancy a call centre post.

I don't want a hard-sell position.

I want something that's more than half-interesting.

So...a thought....

To put ME back "in control" - to allow ME to have a choice in matters - I'm willing to work for up to three months with no pay, bar travel expenses to/from work and any statutory insurances.

(I know the DWP won't be too keen on this idea, but I understand that if both parties agree, you can circumvent the minimum wage business. I also mentioned this plan to the Job Centre Officer when I last signed on, but she cut me dead half way through the sentence. Make what you want of that....)

It may be that I know absolutely nothing about your line of work - it's up to you to teach me.

If either party is, for any reason, unhappy with the other during the three month trial period, we'll shake hands and walk away... If, however, all transpires to be fine, I would expect to be appointed and placed on the normal salary level for whichever position it turns out to be.

I'm deliberately not going to detail my past work history, except to say that it's been office-bound as opposed to working outdoors.

Interests? Music...Art...Crafts....

So what's out there?!

What a well written and articulated post.

I'm sorry your having this temporary challenge. I take my hat of to you sir.

Having read your other posts on this particular thread, It really annoys me when job centres, recruitment agencies treat people like... (well you know what!)

I agree; age should not make one bit of difference. People can be so judgmental without even knowing who you are. In an ideal world it would be much better to see everyone face to face - of course that not practical.

It looks like you might need to do a bit of the out of the box thinking my friend... and I'm only thinking off the cuff, but have you tried job fairs or somewhere you could see recruiters face to face - show them your outstanding charisma!

Also, Linkedin... are you on that website too. That could work.

Whilst judging someone on a piece of paper is wrong, sadly that's all recruiters can go on, so you might have to work that little bit more to sell yourself face to face.

I do like the free for three months idea. I'd say a month rather than for that amount of time.

Very best of luck to you :thumbsup:

...show them your outstanding charisma!

Ah.

Charisma....

No.

There you have me...I have none.

---------- Post added 01-02-2015 at 19:14 ----------

Ye Gods....twelve hundred-and-odd views!

Just to keep those interested with developments, I've now completed six applications for jobs, all totally different to anything I've been involved with before. In fact, they're all different to each other, come to think.....

I'm sure I speak on behalf of the Nationwide Building Society when I say that I hope at least one of 'em pays off!

To those who commented - namely Cyclone, Grenoside123, mlfc, steveroberts, Waldo, Chez2, willman and JonBladesman - on my original post regarding my search for employment, my thanks for your opinions and responses.

For any new readers, my grouse concerned being discounted from possible jobs because of my age, to the extent that I was prepared to offer up to three months full-time service free of charge, save for travel expenses to/fro and any statutory insurances.

I started the "exercise" at the end of January, since when I have applied for almost 30 posts, mainly sourced from websites such as JobIsJob, Reed, Indeed and the like.

The types of jobs varied, but were by and large office-bound...some local to Sheffield, but ranging south as far as Langley Mill.

The result?

Not a one.

Not one single offer of an interview.

Disappointing? Certainly.

Surprising? If truth be known, no.

My Jobcentre sign-on routine, recently whittled down from fortnightly to weekly, alters to daily from tomorrow because I've been registered as unemployed for more than thirteen weeks. I fail to see how reporting five times a week will be of any great benefit in my hunt for a job, but perhaps I'm misjudging in advance?

Its a modern myth that CVS should run to two pages max. I had stayed in one company for twelve years but had climbed the ranks. I then left to do some more qualifications and do some temping to gain a wider range of experience. My jobs were summarised to two or three sentences my school qualifications to one sentence but my CV still ran to three pages when I was only thirty. I had a professional company look at it but it was still three pages. It never failed to get me an interview.

My career history is in reverse order so they don't have to read it if they don't want. If you keep it very concise and easy to read then its fine. I have found they do want to know the full history, albeit brief. They want to know about breaks in employment too. I took just two years off to do my degree full time and they wanted to know about more my career break. Its often about planning a carer route, being focused etc. Thats what I have been told by people that have employed me or the agencies that have put me forward for interviews. I suppose to some extent it depends what job you are applying for and how much they have invested or plan to invest in you.

The only caveat is if a recruiter can pick out skills and experience in 10 seconds. 2 pages is the optimal length.

To those who commented - namely Cyclone, Grenoside123, mlfc, steveroberts, Waldo, Chez2, willman and JonBladesman - on my original post regarding my search for employment, my thanks for your opinions and responses.

For any new readers, my grouse concerned being discounted from possible jobs because of my age, to the extent that I was prepared to offer up to three months full-time service free of charge, save for travel expenses to/fro and any statutory insurances.

I started the "exercise" at the end of January, since when I have applied for almost 30 posts, mainly sourced from websites such as JobIsJob, Reed, Indeed and the like.

The types of jobs varied, but were by and large office-bound...some local to Sheffield, but ranging south as far as Langley Mill.

The result?

Not a one.

Not one single offer of an interview.

Disappointing? Certainly.

Surprising? If truth be known, no.

My Jobcentre sign-on routine, recently whittled down from fortnightly to weekly, alters to daily from tomorrow because I've been registered as unemployed for more than thirteen weeks. I fail to see how reporting five times a week will be of any great benefit in my hunt for a job, but perhaps I'm misjudging in advance?

Don't give up Riffraff!

I got kicked out of my job at 68 after 21 years (no redundancy). Started work for a firm on the following Monday, finished there at 74 after being "head hunted" and continued working until I was 75! Only failing health stopped me then!

As I say, don't give up. There ARE some good employers out there.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Are you on linkedin? Head hunters and recruitment agencies do contact people through linkedin.

Get thee self on linkedin. I always get requests on Linkedin, are you interested in this? that? and the other. Its a recruiters playground.

Just make sure you don't go with too many. The trick is to find the ones who work for you, and are not on some ridiculous quota target. Otherwise you will be put up for stuff you dont want to do.

Edited by ubermaus

Another update on progress, two months into my "free employment" idea.

Better point out that I haven't ignored advice given in earlier posts : now on Linkedin, had my CV reviewed by one of the job search websites, and have registered with a few more.

(Out of interest, I submitted the rehashed 'optimised' CV to yet another CV-analysis site, and yet again ended up with a list of suggestions as to how it could be bettered!)

My maximum 182 days JSA has now ended : more correctly, my JSA based on NI Contributions has run its course, so no more 'dole' money.

It appears that I don't qualify for JSA based on income : my wife earns "too much".

Athough I'm apparently old enough to qualify for Pension Credit - whatever that is - the same applies : my wife earns "too much".

The "too much" is above legal minimum, but only by a couple of thousand a year....

But what of my original idea?

Pleased to say that it resulted in one interested party contacting me.

They're awaiting the outcome of a proposed business venture, and if there is a possiblility of a suitable position within, they may well be in contact in about three months time.....

Please keep us up to date with progress RiffRaff, you're our poster boy for the go-getting older jobseeker, and your troubles are our troubles.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your endeavours. I'd employ you tomorrow if only I could.

Please keep us up to date with progress RiffRaff, you're our poster boy for the go-getting older jobseeker

Gosh, is riffraff old...doesn't say much for my future then :hihi: