Did Anybody Go To King Ecgberts?

R.I.P mr waller top man top teacher

Yes, I now live in the Seattle area, I was there from 1957 to 1962, I remember Miss Coates! What a tartar! Good times, good education. My name then was Eileen Webster.

Hi - there are some earlier posts over the last few years from pupils from the 1960s and 1970s - does anyone have any memories or tales of Mr Mike Short, biology teacher? He was my grandfather though unfortunately died quite young and i was never able to meet him - it would be really good to know any tales about him. Im aware he was quite strict - all and any stories would be much appreciated! Many thanks!

Hello, my name is tracy and I was in Mr short's form All through lower school from 1972' he was so strict but I liked him as none of the boys showed off and everyone respected him. He could be quite unexpectedly funny and he did eat a maggot for us, we were all in disgust, but it was funny. He liked me because I liked the fundraising activities and was always nice to me prob because I was scared of him. It was funny once when a boy was showing off and he said right you don't leave this room until you've come up with a new colour!

It was a small world because a few years later I got a job at husband and co and was friends with Karen and Julie. Karen was his daughter and a secretary there, I thought she was sooo sophisticated. I'm remember her saying she had a little sister called Suzanne. Not seen Karen since 1980 I think. Please say hi if all this adds up to you, would love to meet up. I think Mr short died in 1979 fr too young xxx

Hello, my name is tracy and I was in Mr short's form All through lower school from 1972' he was so strict but I liked him as none of the boys showed off and everyone respected him. He could be quite unexpectedly funny and he did eat a maggot for us, we were all in disgust, but it was funny. He liked me because I liked the fundraising activities and was always nice to me prob because I was scared of him. It was funny once when a boy was showing off and he said right you don't leave this room until you've come up with a new colour!

It was a small world because a few years later I got a job at husband and co and was friends with Karen and Julie. Karen was his daughter and a secretary there, I thought she was sooo sophisticated. I'm remember her saying she had a little sister called Suzanne. Not seen Karen since 1980 I think. Please say hi if all this adds up to you, would love to meet up. I think Mr short died in 1979 fr too young xxx

Im glad you did actually see a good side in Mr Short. I do not have a good word for him, in fact he was one of the reasons i started wagging school, he was a bully. He is still mentioned amongst some of my friends to this day who also attended King Ecgberts. He was to quick with his fist behind closed doors. He was quick tempered so the name short suited him. At least if Mr Salway was to punish a pupil he would have good reason, and that included the cane if needed.

Edited by only_me

A ex girlfriend of mine did in the 60s, her name was Rachael Dowse

From 1957-1963. I now live in the Seattle area. I remember Ms. Coates, she scared me a little! First year in a brand new school. Good education.

You said there was only one male teacher, but I remember Mr Solway too...science teacher, black hair, glasses and very pale.....

---------- Post added 16-03-2015 at 10:54 ----------

My daughter went to King Ecberts in 1962, left in 1968. I know that she would love to read the article about Miss Coates, is it possible for me to obtain a copy for her ?.

Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.

Hi, I went to King Ecgbert from 1958 to 1965 - I think.... I married in 1967 and moved to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I remember loads of teachers and school mates....Lynda

Does anyone remember Elizabeth Sharpe? I think she was in the same year as Yvonne Chappell. She probably left in 1965/66 or 1967/8 if she stopped on for A-levels.

Hi Chiqita

What form were you in in 1958 I was in 1X Miss Turner was our form mistress.

Yes, I went to King Ecberts Technical School for Girls 1958. Used to travel from Shiregreen bus or tram to town then bus to either Totley Brook Road, or Dore Village, dependant on how I felt! My best friend was Susan Coupe, we went everywhere together, I remember Susan Levesey, Jacqueline Hutton (red hair and sucked her thumb), Felicity Patton ( think that's how it's spelt). Vanya Thompson, she lived near me and we often travelled to school together. I remember a girl called Jean, can't remember her surname, she was the oldest in the class and I was next oldest. I can also remember quite a few of the teachers, Miss Essenhigh!! What a monster, loved Mrs Rogers, and Kitty Coates, resembled a little bat floating down the corridors with her black gown flapping and her hands tucked in her sleeves. Remember morning assembly? All teaching staff processing on to the stage, with Miss Coates following, last on stage, to the sound of some classical music or other. Miss Hopwood would play the piano while we sang morning hymns. She wasn't such a bad old stick, she and Miss Byard took a group of us on a tour of Switzerland and Italy, we sneaked out at night to go to the local night spots, never got caught! Fond fond memories. Could carry on for hours, but that's all for now!

i went there when it first opened,when it was all girls .remember teachers called miss essenhigh, miss hopwood.miss byard and of course miss coates

Hi Granniebeebi

We must have been in the same form I am still in touch with Sue Coupe and Bev Tummon - who are you?

Megson what year did you start?