2016 rod licence increase.

The environment agency are looking into restructuring the rod licence in 2016. The outcome is not decided yet but they are hoping to allow junior anglers to fish without the need for a licence, one licence to cover three rods instead of two. Preventing specimen anglers needing to buy an extra licence to cover a third rod.

The cost of the rod licence to be determined. Taking into consideration the EA say an increase is needed.

So with the loss of the junior licence fee, "a good idea" plus the loss of say Carp anglers extra licence "another good idea"

How much do you think would be a fare increase would be for a licence that covers three rods.

Every angler must have an opinion.

I use just one rod as mainly do pike fishing with wobblers... Don't sound goot to me... but for most who use 3 rods I think it's perfect.

I think rod license needs to be with options, not just one "up to 3 rods":

1 rod

2 rods

3 rods

a lot of general anglers always seem to complain about the cost of the licence and always moan when an increase is added .i run a fishery and the amount of help the ea would give to us is great they are always on hand to advise they can source plants and all manner of vegetation for our fishery at little or no cost they are even willing to drain our fishery take all fish and look after them then bring back health checked free of charge if we need it ,they all so do a lot more besides so i for one will never knock the cost of a licence

I only use one rod or pole, I also agree a lot of anglers would see it as unfair but I believe far more would not welcome an increase but realise everything goes up and it was only a matter of time. After all we haven't had an increase for five years.

I would expect the annual fee to be around £40 and concessions to be perhaps £30, that's less than a quid per week.

I don't think the EA are to consider options, their idea is to make it more simple with one licence per angler. It doesn't take much working out that there would be a significant shortfall with the loss of junior fees plus the second licence that some have previously bought.

To encourage more youngsters into angling, by all means scrap the junior licence but other than that why change a formula that has worked since the new licence was introduced.

I generally fish one rod but use two when fishing for pike etc. If anglers feel the need to fish more than two rods then they should expect to pay more than the majority who only use one.

I wouldn't mind a moderate price increase providing the money was put to good use e.g more e.a officers on the bank catching licence dodgers,poachers etc.

Water bailiffs are more rare than Snow Leopards, it must be the 90s last time my licence was checked. It seems every job that needs staff is going down the volunteer route I could list them but we all know that bailiffing is just another of many going for volunteers so I doubt more bailiff are planned.

I have never understood why people need two or three rod set ups, that doesn't mean I begrudge anyone doing what they want on fisheries within rules. I think it's only fair that all anglers should pay the same licence fee.

Instead of thinking using more rods should cost anglers extra we all have the option of using more rods if needed, not that I can cope with more than one rod.

A bit weird this one, most coarse anglers only use one rod, but big carp anglers need 3 rods, although I agree scrapping the rod licence for juniors is a great idea and I don't mind paying a little extra for that, it still seems a little unfair when you consider virtually no other sport needs a paid for licence with very little government support, if a tennis licence or football licence was brought out it would be laughed at , would love some information on how much is spent on tennis courts compared to fishing ponds.

The EA's figures said if the junior licence is to be dropped the fees lost would be £220 000. I don't know what would be lost from anglers who buy two licences, bearing in mind that the EA say more money needs to be generated I can't see how an increase can be avoided. Even though it's not decided if to increase the fee or not.

I'd leave the license the same, i.e. 1 license covers 1 or 2 rods. Then give anglers the chance to license extra rods, for example £10 for the third rod.

Why do carp anglers need 3 rods by the way? They used to manage with 2 rods but at some point started to need 3 rods. Is it the pod manufacturers making pods for 3 rods that convinces people they need 3 rods? Lord knows what they would do if all 3 rods had bites.

I'd leave the license the same, i.e. 1 license covers 1 or 2 rods. Then give anglers the chance to license extra rods, for example £10 for the third rod.

Why do carp anglers need 3 rods by the way? They used to manage with 2 rods but at some point started to need 3 rods. Is it the pod manufacturers making pods for 3 rods that convinces people they need 3 rods? Lord knows what they would do if all 3 rods had bites.

(panic) yes the i have more tackle than you brigade, i love to see them they want more pay more

I don't know how many coarse anglers there are in England but I reckon it's far less than we think. So is there enough bailiffs. According to the EA last year there were 70,000 checks, officers caught 2,800 fishing illegally, fines totaled £600,000.

Rather than force anglers to buy an extra licence I believe sea anglers should be licenced.

The days of fishing with a cane and a bent pin are long gone backwardben

Edited by Mr Hinks

I don't know how many coarse anglers there are in England but I reckon it's far less than we think. So is there enough bailiffs. According to the EA last year there were 70,000 checks, officers caught 2,800 fishing illegally, fines totaled £600,000.

Rather than force anglers to buy an extra licence I believe sea anglers should be licenced.

The days of fishing with a cane and a bent pin are long gone backwardben

as for fishing with a cane and a bent pin i see many a child with them while fishing dont you? they are the anglers of the future. dont you agree as for sea anglers being licenced i cannot see this working as there is 7,723 miles of coastline to cover or 12,429 KM if you like

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1379822 Some fishing canes for free here.

Edited by backwardben
changed