Employment idea..

Early 60's, redundant since the middle of last year, and fed up with not even receiving acknowledgements to job applications, let alone interview invitations.

You and I both know what the problem is, of course, but let’s be realistic - no amount of legislation regarding “age discrimination” is going to make a blind bit of difference.

I've mixed thoughts about the use/purpose of the Job Centre, and the latest unemployment figures that are being bandied about.

Relatively well-educated, with a fair share of decent level GCE "O" Level passes (English Language and Maths included), I'm adaptable, conscientious, comparatively well-spoken, "computer literate" and in good health as far as I know...

I want a change.

I don't fancy a call centre post.

I don't want a hard-sell position.

I want something that's more than half-interesting.

So...a thought....

To put ME back "in control" - to allow ME to have a choice in matters - I'm willing to work for up to three months with no pay, bar travel expenses to/from work and any statutory insurances.

(I know the DWP won't be too keen on this idea, but I understand that if both parties agree, you can circumvent the minimum wage business. I also mentioned this plan to the Job Centre Officer when I last signed on, but she cut me dead half way through the sentence. Make what you want of that....)

It may be that I know absolutely nothing about your line of work - it's up to you to teach me.

If either party is, for any reason, unhappy with the other during the three month trial period, we'll shake hands and walk away... If, however, all transpires to be fine, I would expect to be appointed and placed on the normal salary level for whichever position it turns out to be.

I'm deliberately not going to detail my past work history, except to say that it's been office-bound as opposed to working outdoors.

Interests? Music...Art...Crafts....

So what's out there?!

Don't put your age or DOB on your CV.

That should mean that age can't be used to stop you getting an interview at least!

Can't help by hiring you I'm afraid, but good luck.

That should mean that age can't be used to stop you getting an interview at least!

Thanks!

Work history gives the game away, I'm afraid : puts 'em in the right area anyway.

It is correct that you no longer have to put you DOB on your CV, however anyone with half a brain can make a reasonable assumption as to the applicant's age by tallying up years from their work history so it is still probably a problem for the OP :(

Well Riffraff, you certainly have the right attitude and whilst it's bound to be so, so frustrating, don't give up. I think your idea is great. I'm not sure how big corporate companies would view this but my gut would be to approach smaller firms with your proposition as I'd guess that they would have less rules/red tape surrounding such a scheme.

Might be worth posting out your CV with a covering letter to the same effect, then calling a few days/a week later to check receipt of your CV and discuss further. If nothing else, it demonstrates that you are keen and determined.

I wish you the very best of luck. If I had a business, I'd give you a chance :)

I wish you the very best of luck. If I had a business, I'd give you a chance :)

Thank you!

Have you thought of working for yourself? Then you aren't at the whim of an employer and your success is down to you and no one else. I'll send a PM

Have you thought of working for yourself? Then you aren't at the whim of an employer and your success is down to you and no one else. I'll send a PM

Been there, done it. Late 80's, just at the start of the recession. Lasted 4 years before the shop rent went through the roof (sorry!) and effectively made it non-viable.

Sought and found alternative employment, and drifted along since then....

To the OP. a well written and articulate post.

Normally I report posts that are self serving, but I think you absolutely deserve every chance to find gainful employment.

Can you expand on your CV so everyone gets a chance to see what your skill sets are (who you have worked for etc).

Also, do you have anyone who would be prepared to post a reference about you on the forum too?

Although you had a bad experience being your own boss in the 1980's you are much wiser, now, than then. Have you thought about contacting SENTA to see what opportunities there might be to start your own business.

Easy for me to say this, but the very best of luck to you in finding the right opportunity; at the end of the day, if a potential employer could not even be bothered to get back to you, would you have wanted to work for them anyway?

Edited by steveroberts
typo

Incidentally, just nipping back to the question of whether it's wise/required to state your DOB/age on CV, I did recently complete a 10-page application form for a part-time post for a well-known chain store.

This, by the way, was in addition to a submitted CV....

Hit the "submit" button, and within 30 seconds I'd received an automated response stating that my skills did not match their requirements.

That was galling enough, but in addition to having to enter my DOB on the form, I had to also enter my NI number.

It's obvious that the word-search on my form failed to find any of their chosen key words - "pro-active", for example - but now all my details, including my all-important National Insurance number, are floating around the ether somewhere....or are they?

Perhaps printed, sitting on somebody's desk.

Manna from heaven for some identity thief.....

Normally I report posts that are self serving,

For what. Being self serving is not against forum rules...

---------- Post added 23-01-2015 at 23:01 ----------

Thanks!

Work history gives the game away, I'm afraid : puts 'em in the right area anyway.

You could drop a lot of the older history if it's not relevant...

Are there any legal requirements concerning what you must include on a CV? Is there a requirement to even call it a CV? Or is it just a matter of convention and doing things in an expected format?

I'd think, there's no reason not to change things, if you've identified elements of your CV that are putting employers off.

Granted, you can decide to exclude certain details on your CV, but in cases of the additional online application form, you can't : for example, I was loathe to enter my NI number on one form recently, but it was obligatory - you were unable to proceed to the next "page".