Just a song before Twilight?

My great grandad died about 15 years ago aged 96.

He'd pre arranged his own funeral. During the service this hymn was sung, I'm not sure if the actual name was Just a song before Twilight, but that line was a part of the chorus.

None of the younger people seemed to know it, but suddenly the voices of the old soldiers lifted and they sang this song beautifully.

One of the old chaps explained to me that it was a popular song in the trenches in WW1.

I've never heard it since, but I often remember the old chaps singing it at Great-Grandads funeral, especially on 11th November, and I'd love to have a copy of it.

A google search just brings up loads of Edward Cullen nonsense.

Anyone know the correct name of the hymn and the composer, so that I can find it out?

Now - can anyone help me find a modern recording of it that I can have on my ipod?!

oops....sorry link doesn't work!

I've found a lovely version on itunes by 3 tenors.

Hi Scoops sorry about the delay but I have just come across your enquiry about Just a song at twilight this came from the 1W.War evey serviceman was issued with an Hymn book and the last one was this song I hope that this shed some light on it for you.