Anniversary of Sheffield Blitzy

A recent edition of The Sheffield Star mentions various events to mark the 75th. anniversary of The Sheffield Blitz. On December the 12th. barrage balloons will fly above the city centre, search lights will light up the sky and at 7 30pm the air raid warning will sound.

Does anyone know if Sheffield or indeed the rest of the UK still has a fully functioning air raid warning system?

In the early sixties I remember the sirens in Sheffield being tested at noon one day and anyone not hearing them was asked to inform the Town Hall.

I think the answer to this question can only come from the County or District Councils who, according to the Civic Contingencies Act (CCA) 2004, are Category 1 responders.

There is a National Attack Warning System (NAWS), whose status was somewhat diminished in 2012, and about which more information can be seen on the civildefence.co.uk website.

The nature of the recent terrorism attacks has prompted a reconsideration by Governments though it is unlikely to see any funding to help Local Authorities should they be faced with emergency situations.

We only got one incendiary bomb through the roof into the bathroom (wash basin!) which was quickly dealt with that night of the 12th,so were luckier than many.:|

If anyone is interested, I had a response from Sheffield Council: Sheffield does NOT have an air raid warning system.