Sheffield Crime.

Growing up as a kid in 1970s Sheffield i would often hear my parents saying things like "theres been another robbery or murder its on the front page of the star" There were many high value armed robberies in Sheffield including banks, dairy's, post offices, plus a wide variety of other crimes commited. I know this goes way back when, but was there ever a major crime problem in Sheffield? What major crimes do you remember back in the day? It seems crime is a part of everyday conversation just like the weather, has crime really got worse today as people often say or has it just changed its face?

I remember the killing at the East House pub on Spital hill, but can't remember the details.

On average in the period after the second world war to the end of the seventies the average number of murders in Sheffield was one per year. (3 in Rotherham).

The reason for the decline in Post Office and Bank robberies is technology and the use of professional Cash in Transit companies.

Since the mid 70s the drugs trade has fuelled crime and continues to do so. Also the influx of alien cultures from countries and religions that hold human life cheap has added to crime.

I remember the killing at the East House pub on Spital hill, but can't remember the details.

The shooter was a crackpot from Yemen. I think he did a bit of time here before he was transferred to a jail over there. It came out years later that he had been released early.

On average in the period after the second world war to the end of the seventies the average number of murders in Sheffield was one per year. (3 in Rotherham).

The reason for the decline in Post Office and Bank robberies is technology and the use of professional Cash in Transit companies.

Since the mid 70s the drugs trade has fuelled crime and continues to do so. Also the influx of alien cultures from countries and religions that hold human life cheap has added to crime.

Talking about Rotherham, I was fingerprinted, for the barbershop murder of Ernest Crapper in, I think 1960. Mind you the whole male population of Rotherham and surrounding areas over15 had to succumb by law, with the promise that all fingerprints would be destroyed after a conviction. The culprit was a miner at Treeton pit who worked on the same shift as my granddad. He escaped the noose, ,because the barber was over80 and died from injuries that were as a result of being pushed aside and the ensuing fall.

The shooter was a crackpot from Yemen. I think he did a bit of time here before he was transferred to a jail over there. It came out years later that he had been released early.

The 'East House' murders were on the evening Jan 1st, 1960, although all murders are bad enough the only other multiple one I recall was the Leitner family (1982) and that and the Spital Hill one were committed by non-Sheffielders.

At the risk of being pedantic Jim, the 'East Hose shooter' was Somalian, and I believe he met an untimely death after his deportation to his home country.

At the risk of being pedantic Jim, the 'East Hose shooter' was Somalian, and I believe he met an untimely death after his deportation to his home country.

Lol, seems the only bit I got right was that he was a crackpot.

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/easthousemurders1960.htm

He did the same thing again in Somalia.

From what i recall it was a soldier on leave who left the pub and returned with a gun. He shot customers that's all i can recall it' a long time ago.

From what i recall it was a soldier on leave who left the pub and returned with a gun. He shot customers that's all i can recall it' a long time ago.

After almost 56 years the memory can some times fade. However the 'East House' incident (Jan 1st 1960). The murders were committed by a local living steelworks labourer Mohamed Ismail, a Somali, (then British Somalia) who on that evening went to the pub and to the annoyance of his religion (Muslim) Christian New Year's carols were being sung. He arrived (already armed with a loaded gun)- in an alcohol serving place, also against his religion. One of the 'innocent customers,' the 'on leave soldier' was Thomas Owen who was one of the three fatalities of the five shot.