Old cures of ailments

Does anyone remember something cold down ones back to stop a bleeding nose? Could have been the door key or a spoon.

What was it supposed to have done?

My theory is because it was cold e.g. the keys or spoons - blood would rush to the area and away from the nose bleed!!! But who nose!!!

Does anyone remember something cold down ones back to stop a bleeding nose? Could have been the door key or a spoon.

What was it supposed to have done?

One of my mam's cures for my childhood headache was a vinegar soaked cloth applied to forehead. In my later years, same treatment on hangovers. (It stinks a bit, but it works !) Domestic use only is preferred.

---------- Post added 28-10-2015 at 19:39 ----------

One of my mam's cures for my childhood headache was a vinegar soaked cloth applied to forehead. In my later years, same treatment on hangovers. (It stinks a bit, but it works !) Domestic use only is preferred.

Also there were other 'cures' like those 'Poltice' things but you could actually come from somewhere like Salford, Sunderland or Shrewsbury for them to take effect.

Holding your breath for a minute to stop hiccups, never worked for me though.:(

A kaolin poultice could cure many ill's, my mother swore by them.

What about the bottle full of steam to clear out boils,boy did that hurt.

Glycerin and Opodeldoc for chapped hands. I remember when I worked in a pharmacy in the early-mid 60's this was always asked for by the women finishing work at Empire Rib on a Friday afternoon.

I was once asked for Kaylene Mauve (kaolin and morphine) which made me smile.

A kaolin poultice could cure many ill's, my mother swore by them.

Thank you Elmambo (Union Street place?] that was the term ' Kaolin' I meant, and your Mam, like mine, they didn't really swear did they ?

Edited by stpetre
Add

Brown paper wet put on the head for headaches. We changed it to a wet flannel!!

Warmed up olive oil in the lug hole if you said you had an earache. Can feel the warm bubbling in my ear now as I mention it, horrible :gag:

Warmed up olive oil in the lug hole if you said you had an earache. Can feel the warm bubbling in my ear now as I mention it, horrible :gag:

....and a plug of cotton wool!

Well, we had some unique ailments, which I've never heard of since.

Chilblains, hot aches, and I can't think of the name for that discoloration or mottling that women got on the back of their legs from sitting on the fireguard with their skirt up.

A little baking soda in water for indigestion seemed to work.