Pre decimal money

looking back pre decimal i cant believe now there was 240 pennies in a pound no wonder my mother had to stich up my pockets so much weight going down town in the mid sixties all night for a quid, my first pint was 1 and 10 x eight twenty embasy bus there and back and still some change

Yep - 1s10d was the going rate for a pint in 1967, and 20 Embassy cost about the same (in the Three Tuns I used to casually flash a pack of Wills' Passing Clouds [4s6d for 20] with such a air as if it was my regular smoke)..:P I went to Cornwall in April 1967 and found that in the pubs there a pint cost only 1s7d. I nearly stayed another week..:)

Has anyone still got any? I have a few, half crowns, florins, the old silver threepenny bits as well as the brass ones. Also pennies and halfpennies. I don't know why I've kept them, they have no value.

... I don't know why I've kept them, they have no value.
Some are worth good money to a collector - see here for example, and also here. It depends on the date, and the condition..:)

My Dad once told me how to work out the old money, it got me so confused it seemed to be very confusing I just glad it changed to pounds and pence and would be struggling for sure. Iv got a few coins of the old money one has Queen Victoria on it.

I'll have to check what I've got. Don't suppose I'll have any of those rare ones but you never know.

I still talk in old money! Going decimal in money and measurements, particularly gallons to litres, effectively doubled prices straight away.

Yep - 1s10d was the going rate for a pint in 1967, and 20 Embassy cost about the same (in the Three Tuns I used to casually flash a pack of Wills' Passing Clouds [4s6d for 20] with such a air as if it was my regular smoke)..:P I went to Cornwall in April 1967 and found that in the pubs there a pint cost only 1s7d. I nearly stayed another week..:)

'Three Castle's' too, when the mood took?

When I felt flush, Balkan Sobranie was my choice for putting on the dog.

.............my late mum always said decimal currecy was the biggest con since marriage!!!!! She would turn in her grave if she thought I was daft enough to pay £1.80 for an ice cream!!!

I used to collect three penny coins (threppny bits) in a jar until I'd got a fair amount then splurge for a few days. It was amazing how many sweets you could buy with a pound in the 60s.

I smoked Park Drive all those years ago but a memory I have of the old money was that you could have a good night out with a Ten bob note, ie a drink and then the cinema and possibly some fish and chips on the way home.

Just occurred to me, we always window shopped down the Moor on a Saturday night in those days because all the windows were lit-up and no security was required.