Glossop Road Swimming Baths

I think the cafe on Convent Walk was the West End Cafe. I was always starving hungry after a swim & used to go there for a margarine crust for 1 penny. Wasn't the owner of the joke shop pretty old & had a long grey beard?

I went to Glossop Rd baths dancing in the 50's, it was in the afternoon and they were called tea dances.

I went to Glossop Rd baths dancing in the 50's, it was in the afternoon and they were called tea dances.

.... or wet dances? Presumably they put some sort of boarding over the pool? I seem to recall my parents going either there or maybe it was Hillsborough baths.

As others have already mentioned I too used to get a bath card from my school (Western Road) to get in for 6d and went to the West End café afterwards for a penny crust and a cup of tea. I went with the school during the week and also on Saturday mornings for lessons in the 25yd pool with Mr Bradshaw (none of the adults I knew in those days had first names). A big man always in a white track suit – does anyone else remember him, I’m talking about the early 1960’s.

hiya i went to the glossop for a time in the 50's 54/ 57. but don't remember tea dances there only tea dances at the time were at the city hall

The Glossop Road Baths used to close in the winter, the large swimming pool had a floor put in over the pool and dances were held not just tea dances but evening dances too, particular Saturday nights which were well patronised this would be around the late forties.

The Glossop Road Baths used to close in the winter, the large swimming pool had a floor put in over the pool and dances were held not just tea dances but evening dances too, particular Saturday nights which were well patronised this would be around the late forties.

Apparently I only exist as a result of these. My mum and dad met when they worked on the trams and dad took her to these dances (tho apparently used to run off down to the Bath Hotel for a pint during the intervals - good lad). Sometime later they were married and the rest is history. Always brings a slight pang of appreciation whenever I drink in Swim...or the Bath.

There are couple of photos on picturesheffield website: one shows the first-class pool & the other shows the pool boarded over with the pool hall decorated for a christmas dance.

Edited by fatrajah

There are couple of photos on picturesheffield website: one shows the first-class pool & the other shows the pool boarded over with the pool hall decorated for a christmas dance.

I used to go swimming there with the Central Technical school around 1960-1963

Would that have been with Mr Ratigan as swimming teacher and Mr Walsh as PE teacher, he taught us to swim at Glossop Rd baths from Nether Green school in the late 60s early 70s?

Mr Ratigan taught me how to swim, mid 70's!

I then went on to swim with Sheffield Oak Street swimming club, anyboby else?

The Sheffield schools competitions were always held at Glossop Rd baths, we did early morning training there in the 'big' pool too before school, it was always freezing cold brhhh... :o

have been told that 1 of my husband relative died there when he dived in. not sure when this was & have not been able to find anymore about it

My dad came home from the baths once, very shaken because a man had died after diving in (he'd only just had his lunch and it had regurgitated). But this was a very long time ago (probably about 55 years ago).

---------- Post added 27-11-2017 at 22:43 ----------

As others have already mentioned I too used to get a bath card from my school (Western Road) to get in for 6d and went to the West End café afterwards for a penny crust and a cup of tea. I went with the school during the week and also on Saturday mornings for lessons in the 25yd pool with Mr Bradshaw (none of the adults I knew in those days had first names). A big man always in a white track suit – does anyone else remember him, I’m talking about the early 1960’s.

Yes, ToonTyke, I had swimming lessons with Mr Bradshaw's wife and I remember his daughter too, Lynn. I went to Lydgate Lane school and had all my swimming lessons at Glossop Road - later swam for Sheffield in lots of galas all over Yorkshire.