Old cures of ailments

Didn't look at all of them but I remember once cooking a goose for Christmas dinner. When I told my grandmother about it (she would have been in her 80s) she told me to rub some of the fat on my chest to stop me getting a cold. My fiance wasn't too thrilled with that idea though.:hihi:

Didn't look at all of them but I remember once cooking a goose for Christmas dinner. When I told my grandmother about it (she would have been in her 80s) she told me to rub some of the fat on my chest to stop me getting a cold. My fiance wasn't too thrilled with that idea though.:hihi:

Camphorated goose grease was even better, more smell to put any potential partner off!

One of my old mothers remedies that us kids were not too keen on was her solution for constipation!.After a soak in the tin bath it was "Bend over!"and then a piece of rolled torpedo shaped carbolic soap was pushed up your jacksy!.It nearly always worked but I must say it wasn,t one of my favourite cures!.

One of my old mothers remedies that us kids were not too keen on was her solution for constipation!.After a soak in the tin bath it was "Bend over!"and then a piece of rolled torpedo shaped carbolic soap was pushed up your jacksy!.It nearly always worked but I must say it wasn,t one of my favourite cures!.

Whitey says she was trying to wesh thi mouth out, but couldn't tell which end was which.:hihi:

...solution for constipation!...
Epsom salts. As my dad used to say "one ounce will make you s--t one ton". :o

Whitey says she was trying to wesh thi mouth out, but couldn't tell which end was which.:hihi:

Ar young un said that I wur only constipated because I wur that tight I wunt gi nowt away!:roll::hihi::hihi:

When we were kids we never had anything as glamorous as goose to eat , we only ever had turkey on Christmas Day . Our mother though did rub "Vicks vapour rub " on our chest to relieve a blocked , stuffy nose , usually at bedtime .

When we were kids we never had anything as glamorous as goose to eat , we only ever had turkey on Christmas Day . Our mother though did rub "Vicks vapour rub " on our chest to relieve a blocked , stuffy nose , usually at bedtime .

I only cooked the goose (pun intended) after I moved to Canada. I heard of the medicinal use of the grease from my Grandma by letter (remember when people used to do that?) But, I was told growing up in Sheffield that in the old days goose used to be preferred to turkey because it was cheaper. Go back far enough and roast beef was the entre..again because of prices and no factory farming back then.

I only cooked the goose (pun intended) after I moved to Canada. I heard of the medicinal use of the grease from my Grandma by letter (remember when people used to do that?) But, I was told growing up in Sheffield that in the old days goose used to be preferred to turkey because it was cheaper. Go back far enough and roast beef was the entre..again because of prices and no factory farming back then.

Really, the only turkey we ever had before I was 16 was one my mother won in a raffle. Turkey was bloody expensive and relatively rare in the fifties, in my neck of the woods, anyway.

Turkey was unheard of in our house. The only time we had chicken in the 50s was at Christmas. I kid you not.

Turkey was unheard of in our house. The only time we had chicken in the 50s was at Christmas. I kid you not.

My mum always had chicken at xmas unless we had extra family coming ,then she would buy a capon , they were slightly bigger than chicken .with her special home made stuffing which i still make today and the family love it.(:thats the way to do it ):hihi:

Ditto at our house. :)