People who tell lies for no reason.

I used to work with a guy who was ALWAYS telling lies! There never seemed to be any reason for his "stories". He was nicknamed Billy Liar and people actually found his stories amusing. As time wore on the stories became more and more fantastic as he thought that people believed him.

To cut a long story short I shall tell you his most fantastic story!

He used to go game shooting. That we know was true. He told us that one day he was out shooting and he and his pals were walking from one field to another. His gun was slung over his shoulder and loaded! (not good practice!)

Anyhow the story went that he stooped to get between two lengths of barbed wire fencing and one of the barbs on the fence caught on the gun trigger. The gun discharged into the air and luckily hit a passing grouse! The grouse fell to earth and landed on a rabbit which was stunned! He went to bag both the grouse and the rabbit but as he picked up the rabbit he noticed that underneath it was two pounds of mushrooms....DINNER IS SERVED!:loopy::loopy:

Edited by somnambulist

A guy at college a few years back told us...

That he'd been in a local pub car park, near where we lived, and that he'd seen a monster truck park there. Someone then blocked the truck in, so it drove over the car, and drove off. In Hackenthorpe. He told us this in all seriousness.

Same guy also told us he'd been convicted of murder, but was released after 6 months.

Oh and also that he had no parents (even though we all knew them, as we all grew up together.)

Very odd.

Whilst we're on the subject, someone who worked with my ex was famous at work for his lies. Apparently on the first date where he met his new girlfriend's family, he told them he was previously an astronaut.

I love liars. They make me chuckle.

The best storyteller I ever worked with once told a rather convoluted tale regarding a young niece of his who had died, after being stung by a bee... She was a brownie, and so well respected in her brownie work, that there were over 100 brownies at her funeral... I have often had to bang my head against a wall, just to get that image out of it!!!

Whilst we're on the subject, someone who worked with my ex was famous at work for his lies. Apparently on the first date where he met his new girlfriend's family, he told them he was previously an astronaut.

I love liars. They make me chuckle.

Me too!:hihi::hihi:

The best storyteller I ever worked with once told a rather convoluted tale regarding a young niece of his who had died, after being stung by a bee... She was a brownie, and so well respected in her brownie work, that there were over 100 brownies at her funeral... I have often had to bang my head against a wall, just to get that image out of it!!!

It appears that there is no shortage of liars in the world!

:hihi:

I have known some people in my time that make up stories or elaborate so much on a grain of truth to the point it no longer bears any resemblance to what happened.

So long as they are telling a good story and you know to take what they say with a pinch of salt then it does no harm and passes the time entertainingly.

I have known some people in my time that make up stories or elaborate so much on a grain of truth to the point it no longer bears any resemblance to what happened.

So long as they are telling a good story and you know to take what they say with a pinch of salt then it does no harm and passes the time entertainingly.

I agree. This guys lies were never malicious and were funny sometimes! Could never understand his motive though!

indeed, in my circle of friends 'embellishment' of a story is actively encouraged as long as it's funny (usually at someone else's expense). Many true events have been lost to the annals of legend, and we've only known each other 10 years or so!

I once worked with a cockney joiner who used to come out with some right crap, we used to call him Billy Bulls**t. Anyhow one of him favourites was that he was travelling to a job on his motorbike when he ran out of petrol, he'd got a spare petrol can in his sidecar (this was in the 60's) so he starts to walk down the road to the nearest petrol station. A large black limo pulls up and in the back is the queen mother, asking if they can help, so he jumps in the back with the queen mum (god bless her! as he would say when telling the tale). They drop him off at the petrol station and then deliver him back to his motorbike.

With some people, the motive is unclear - the guy I knew, he didn't want sympathy for the death of his young niece, that part seemed totally aside from the meat of the tale re over 100 brownies at a funeral...

I had a school friend who told many lies, even 'swapping; lives with me for a while when she moved to York when we were about 17 years old... She'd dropped out of school at 14 and had a child at 15... Due to this, she'd missed out on events, parties and a normal school life... When I went to visit her, she'd told her new friends that I had dropped out of school early, and that it was her who had worked in rep and had 10 GCSEs etc... When I visited her, her new mates all seemed to be really patronising towards me etc - when I asked one of the 'friendlier' ones what was the matter, he told me that he actually really respected me for getting into university, as he had no idea you could go without qualifications!!! It was then that I found out all about her lie - I put this guy straight, but asked him not to tell the others - She had to live there and move forward in a new city - I was going home in a day or two!!!

We eventually fell out on my 21st birthday - we went out on canal st etc in Manchester, and she started drunkenly lying about getting off with a manc lad the week before... I just had to burst her bubble, as I'd had 14 years of her lies at this stage and could take no more...

Her motives were obvious - she felt inferior, so tried to either pull people down, or lie about them... I'm not sure why she was so strange, but I hope she's not like that anymore!

Walter Mitty types are great. It's the malicious liars who make me want to take a carving knife to them.