Thank you for your application.. But..

When applying for jobs, I get one of two outcomes.

1) Thank you for your application for the above post. Unfortunately, due to the volume and high standard of the applications recieved, we are unable to offer you an appointment at this time.

2) I hear nothing at all, not even number 1

So, what's wrong? am I not qualified enough? not experienced enough? This is happened with 99% of the jobs I have applied for over the last year, since being made redundant.. the other 1% have gone a little further, to either a phone call or an initial assessment.

If i'm under qualified, i'm screwed as the sort of qualifications i'd need I have to pay for the course(s) (Talking 5k+ for alot of them)

if i'm not experienced enough, how am I supposed to get experience without work in the first place?

this is really winding me up and not helping with how i'm feeling recently.

You've just got to keep on keeping on mate.

Much of this is about timing.

I don't know if you're being turned down due to lack of experience because I don't know you, but I assume you're going for similar work to what you were doing before you were made redundant?

Really is just a matter of time.

Often, I think when there's a HR dept. involved; you're proven ability to do a job (and to a very high standard) will have absolutely no bearing on anything..

In the present climate we are experiencing a perhaps unprecedented level of economic inactivity. At some stage the jobs will return...hang on in there. Good times come and go.

And you're one of the good guys Ghozer; helpful to people on here and seem to have a good positive attitude. I predict good things for you..

Just fill your CV with lies, no one will check and as long as you do a good job - it's all gravy

1) Thank you for your application for the above post. Unfortunately, due to the volume and high standard of the applications recieved, we are unable to offer you an appointment at this time.

So, what's wrong? am I not qualified enough? not experienced enough? This is happened with 99% of the jobs I have applied for over the last year, since being made redundant.. the other 1% have gone a little further, to either a phone call or an initial assessment.

If i'm under qualified, i'm screwed as the sort of qualifications i'd need I have to pay for the course(s) (Talking 5k+ for alot of them)

if i'm not experienced enough, how am I supposed to get experience without work in the first place?

I always find job-hunting a bit like dating. You sort of have a dry spell where you think "no-one wants to employ me/get jiggy with me". And then all of a sudden you get loads of offers/approaches all at once and don't know what to do with them all!

Good luck!

Ghozer, i’m in the exact same position. I'm applying for jobs on a daily basis but receive a response from less than 10% of the applications and then about 10% of those go any further.

Yeah, it's annoying and rude too; if you've taken the time to prepare and send off your resume to the company; the least they could do is respond with a little constructive feedback.

We should have giant list of all employers who don't respond, then boycott them all en-mass; they deserve to burn in hell. You know who you are! Burn baby baby!

Is it any worse than being turned down for being over-qualified/experienced?

i used to hardly get any replies for job applications too, seems like its the norm

Guest sibon

So, what's wrong? am I not qualified enough? not experienced enough? This is happened with 99% of the jobs I have applied for over the last year, since being made redundant.. the other 1% have gone a little further, to either a phone call or an initial assessment..

I would imagine that most job adverts will pull in a massive field in the current climate. Answer number 1 is really just a polite version of number 2, I wouldn't draw a distinction between them.

Have you asked someone look to at your application before you send it? There are some simple steps that you can take to make sure that you get noticed in amongst the hundreds of other applicants. Sometimes a trusted friend can give you some useful and objective advice.

Other than that, keep trying. You won't be the only one in such a terrible position.