Where were you when..

Following on from the 9/11 thread, what other major events stick in your mind and you can remember exactly what you were doing when you heard the news.

The ones I always remember were:

9/11 - I was doing a traffic survey in B'ham

Diana's death - I was watching Sky News waiting for my wife to come home from working at the pub.

Robert Maxwells death - I was driving across Laira Bridge in Plymouth listening to the radio when I heard about it.

Exactly where I was when I heard of these events are etched in my memory

Day of 9/11 I was picking up a car I had bought from this old man. He showed us what was on the tv but it just went over our heads, to busy with the car. Then we got to our homes and realised.

John Kennedy's assassination I remember so clearly. I was in the kitchen washing up, and the children I was looking after came running in saying, 'Come quick a man's been shot and his mummy's crying'

It was about 7.30pm and normal tv programmes were replaced by a woman playing the piano. (No rolling news as we know it in those days)

Ayrton Senna's death I remember pretty vividly. I heard he'd 'died' (it was clear for hours before that he was all but) when it was announced on the Top 40 on Radio 1

i remember where i was when john lennon was shot,i was only 8 but remember it like yesterday,i'm 37 now,i was with my mum just driving under the old underpass that used to be near the crucible.as for 9/11 i was just finishing work.

i remember where i was stood in my front room when i heard of Kurt Cobains death on the radio

I was in Skegvagas when the twin tower got hit and just got in from roxys put TV on and couldnt believe what i was seeing regarding when Dianna died.

I had just had a late dinner after fixing a mates car so turned sky news on just after the first plane hit the towers, and like everyone else just thought it was a freak accident, but then the second hit

I was at my husbands grandmas ( god rest her sole) ,I was 36 week pregnant with my first child. And we was sat in living room, we had the tv on but was generally chatting amongst ourselves. Then my husbands mum fell silent and we all turned to see what she was looking at. She was watching it all unfold on tv soon had us all loooking, it was awful poor people that died.

9/11 - On a train to London. I was fast asleep and my colleague phoned me up and said urgently "Where are you?" I was disorientated and had no idea but knew i wasn't that far away, her next words were, "They are evacuating Canary Wharf, get out of central London as soon as you can." As soon as i put the phone down to her, my then fiance rang me and told me more or less the same. I got off the train and was struck by the silence at King's Cross. I was stopping in St John's Woods and I remember walking from the tube station and it being so quiet on the streets, arriving at the hotel and not even going down for dinner just being transfixed by the scenes.

Diana's death - I was due to take my grandmother to the coach station for a holiday. Again my ex called me into the living room to watch the news, it seemed so surreal. When it was her funeral Meadowhall opened late which was bizarre!

Robert Maxwells death - No idea!

London bombings - I was at my current job when the news filtered through. We checked the BBC website to see what had happened but it wasn't completely clear at that point. I had someone very dear to me working in London city centre at that point and so i phoned him to check he was ok and other friends i have down there.

Can't remember John Lennon really - just remember Imagine constantly being on the telly after

Too young for Kennedy .

I remember when Elvis died, I was swimming with a friend in our local swimming pool.