When did tattoos suddenly start to become the MUST HAVE?

Reading a few tattoo threads and the thought came to me, thinking back a few years, exactly when did tattoos become 'all the rage' and the 'must have' things? It seems that even as recent as 10 years ago, tattoos were a minority interest, confined to certain, probably quite stereotypical social groups.

Today, the social group stereotypes have merged with many other groups, meaning that it has become ODD if you DON'T have a tattoo. I am just wondering why the rise in popularity of tattooing, and if this has been media driven in any way? Discuss.......

Reading a few tattoo threads and the thought came to me, thinking back a few years, exactly when did tattoos become 'all the rage' and the 'must have' things? It seems that even as recent as 10 years ago, tattoos were a minority interest, confined to certain, probably quite stereotypical social groups.

Today, the social group stereotypes have merged with many other groups, meaning that it has become ODD if you DON'T have a tattoo. I am just wondering why the rise in popularity of tattooing, and if this has been media driven in any way? Discuss.......

todays fashion ,tomorrows laughfing stock.

It's is probably just to do with fashion driven by celebs and the media.

Currently it seems to be fashionable to be different/edgy, so everyone is different in the same way. Work that out.

Lord knows why anyone would want a tramp stamp, they look absolutely god damn awful and very chavy.

Lord knows why anyone would want a tramp stamp, they look absolutely god damn awful and very chavy.

I agree completely. I keep thinking these people must have no idea that these awful things are permanent. What will they look like when they are 70? They look bad enough now!

I wanted a tattoo when I was about 15...just to annoy my very strict dad, but was too scared of him to get one, but it was fun winding him up by telling him that as soon as I was 18 I was getting a rose tattooed on my foot.

Now I'm so glad I didn't as I think they are minging..especially those that are years old and fading on wrinkled skin.

I really can't stand seeing them on women........however pretty/well dressed they are it always makes them look cheap. Men look stupid with them as if they're tring to look 'WELL 'ARD'.

What really made me laugh is when a group of workmates all went to the tattooist

together to get tattoos of chinese symbols on their shoulders and one explained to me that she was 'expressing her individuality' and couldn't think of an answer when I asked how individual she was when she was sporting the same tattoo as half of her colleagues.

However, I know people who have them and love them, but I know more who have them and regret ever having it done (including my daughter!), but I just don't see the point of having one...especially those on your back that the person cannot even see and 'admire'...what's the point of that?

To be honest I have two takes, I detest really shoddily done tattoos and really cliche designs such as tribal art, stars, stupid gothic lettering reading some asinine crap, anything that pretty much lacks any artistic integrity and has been chosen of the shop wall.

However, I can appreciate a well done custom sleeve or half sleeve with some well thought out design work and craftsmanship.

lol @ tramp stamp...never heard that expression before-love it!:hihi:

I have one on my lower back.... :rolleyes: I don't regret it because I forget it is there half the time and I rarely show that part of my body.

I do get reminded now and again though when my 17 month old smacks it! I don't know what he thinks it is!

My husband doesn't have any which I love!

each to their own isnt it, i love them and have got loads. its abit rude calling people with tattoos names. i wouldnt dream of calling people with out them boring tattooless articles

live n let live without the need for cheap shot insults folks :)

BB

Rainbow

lol @ tramp stamp...never heard that expression before-love it!:hihi:

Slag tag, anyone?