I am ill with a ladies problem, advice please

Could i please ask for respect on this please as i dont want any silly comments because i am not well and dont need it. I fell ill early last wednesday morning, i woke up and had a terrible pain in my groin,back and leg, i was taken into hospital and i was in terrible pain and at first doctors thought it might be appendicitis, they did an xray and they said that there was a mass or something but they did not know what it was. They put me on a drip and put me a catheter in and gave me morphine and antibiotic injections. I cant remember a lot about wednesday but then thursday i was told it could be a fibroid or it could be cancer. They then transferred me to the gynae ward at the hallamshire and i had a ct scan. They told me that it is a degenarating fibroid and i also had a kidney infection. The consultant thought the best thing to do was for me to have an histerectomy.The fibroid is on my left ovary and across my womb. They said that there is a procedure called an f m k which as something to do with electrodes, i am not very clear on what this is but it seems that i wont have to have the histerectomy if this works. I have been discharged because i am having the op in a months time, they have given me medication and told me to rest until then. As any ladies out there had this problem and did you get really ill with it?

One of my friends had fibroids taken out of her womb a few months back - apparently the docs were suprised just how big they were when they opened her up, as they had thought there were lots of them, and in fact just two massive ones... They'd been there steadily growing for years - she had no other complications, and was home within two weeks and had three months off work... Her op was to allow her to have children, so a hysterectomy was never discussed or considered, so obviously not same situation as you... I bet there are support groups via the docs re women facing hysterectomy/major ops... That'll be best place for advice and support...

Hi, yes they told me that mine had probably been growing for some time as well, but apart from a little pain in my groin now and then it wasnt bad, thankyou for taking the time to reply.

I can't comment on your individual choices- for that all I can do is wish you luck in having the information available to you to make the right decision for you.

What I CAN say is that having a hysterectomy was one of the very best decisions I ever made- it ranks right up there with passing my degree and getting divorced. I wasn't aware of how sick I was feeling and how much of my attention was taken up with pain before the op and I started to feel better within days.

It may be a really hard decision, but if you're of the age when you aren't going to have (any more) children then I really would start thinking about the possibility of a hysterectomy. I was 32 and childless when I had mine, and apart from the mother of all menopauses (I had to have my ovaries removed too and couldn't have HRT) it was FAR better than the endometriosis I'd been struggling with for years.

Hi, yes they told me that mine had probably been growing for some time as well, but apart from a little pain in my groin now and then it wasnt bad, thankyou for taking the time to reply.
theres a discussion forum on the fibroids link if you scroll down to it

http://www.obgyn.net/women/conditions/conditions.asp

all the very best with the future and get well soon ;)

Linnet52 If you will excuse a man jumping in here I sympathize with your condition A friend of mine had Fibroids problems a couple of years ago

She was as Ill as can be before she went to the Doctors who rushed her into Hospital With suspected appendicitis when she was in they did all the tests and was diagnosed with Fibroids

After having A hysterectomy she can't believe how well she felt and if she had the pain again (imposable we know)she would go to the doctors straight away

She runs cycles aerobics

no i dont mind at all thanks for your positive reply

If you have had children, and don't want any more, I would jump at a hysterectomy. as others have stated. I had fibroids, and was in so much pain, and like Medusa said, you don't realise until afterwards what a relief it is. I also had my ovaries removed, but suffered from hot flushes, so went on HRT, and I feel great.

I had fibroids and i had my hysterectomy at the age of 31, and i can honestly say never looked back.

I was sterlised when i had my last c-section, so any more children was out of the question. Go for it you will feel like a new woman.

Flip side pov, hysterectomies are a 'solve all' and many women are put through unnecessary long and difficult menopauses by overzealous surgeons.

There are distinct advantages to keeping all your insides in terms of cancer in later life and it's very much worth researching the ins and outs of HRT, female cancer susceptibility and how it links to hysterectomy and the alternatives in terms of HRT etc.

Investigate all avenues before you decide.

I admit to not having personal experience, my knowledge is because the research in my family is extreme after genetic counselling.

no i dont mind at all thanks for your positive reply

Im sure you will be fine linnet.

I had an ovarian tumour which led me to a total hysterectomy (ie womb and ovaries) I too think it was the best thing ever. I had a short time on HRT then stopped it and felt just fine (still fine nearly twenty years on)

My best wishes to you, with the advice to find out as much as you can including any different options available. That will enable you to make the best decision for you.