Who really reads the Daily Mail?

As our favourite daily newspaper appears to be taking a hit from certain forummers again, I thought I'd do a bit of research and try to find out who exactly reads the Daily Mail and if they're as blinkered and bigoted as we are led to believe.

Here's an article I stumbled across which may surprise a few of you;

http://www.midbritain.co.uk/media-centre/whats-been-said-about-midbritain/2007/05/09/just-who-reads-the-daily-mail-pr-week

Just a couple of quotes from that article;

"In an attempt to reveal the true character of its mid-market heartland, the Mail has undertaken research into what it terms ‘Modern MidBritain’, a demographic that includes 47 per cent of the UK population and is responsible for 51 per cent of all consumer spending. According to the research, 61 per cent of the titles’ readers are drawn from this group, which comprises 6.4 million individuals nationwide.

The denizens of Modern MidBritain are, according to the research, diverse, open-minded, well-educated, caring, brand-aware, powerful, proactive and influential."

"Some of the conclusions directly challenge the popular myths of Mail readers. 64 per cent of the core audience agree that it is important for companies to act ethically and 72 per cent believe that it is important not to judge how others live their lives."

"Daily Mail managing director Guy Zitter concedes that clients’ and agencies’ understanding of what was labelled ‘Middle England’ had become confused with ‘Little England’ and to an extent pejorative. ‘Extensive research highlighted characteristics that dismiss these preconceptions. To many it is a shock that this group of Modern MidBritains are open-minded and technologically literate, as well as having huge social and economic power,’ he says."

Surprised, anyone?

75% of statistics are made up on the spot...

I read it online, but, wouldn't go in a shop and buy it.

I wonder if the same posters who complain about the Daily Mail (constantly) ever use the ITV's teletext service?

Something Ive only just found out is.....http://www.teletext.co.uk/aboutus/default.aspx?id=352

(5th paragraph down if you can't be bothered).

Isn't the freebie paper The Metro a sister paper of the Daily Mail?

The Mail, Metro & Evening Standard are all published by the Mail Group.

The Mail, Metro & Evening Standard are all published by the Mail Group.

Yeah, I thought so.

I buy it a couple of times a week. I like the quiz pages, and there are some interesting articles/writers. Whether I believe them is another matter entirely.

75% of statistics are made up on the spot...

99% of forum posts are total rubbish. 100% from some people (not aimed at you Chopsie) :P

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Is this some sort of record? This thread is 2 hours old and Rich hasn't posted on it yet with a rant smiley.