Garages - becoming too narrow..

We bought our current new built house nearly ten years ago, our car at the time only barely fit in the garage. Our current (main) car hardly fits, but what is even more annoying is that our second, much smaller, car also doesn't properly fit in now, you can hardly open the driver door, never mind the passenger door!

What do people do with their garages these days other than dump stuff in them?

We bought our current new built house nearly ten years ago, our car at the time only barely fit in the garage. Our current (main) car hardly fits, but what is even more annoying is that our second, much smaller, car also doesn't properly fit in now, you can hardly open the driver door, never mind the passenger door!

What do people do with their garages these days other than dump stuff in them?

They're still building new garages to the old standard. It's daft.

Mine's a combined workshop and storage space. The modest hatchback car that won't go through the garage door is on the drive.

They're still building new garages to the old standard. It's daft.

Mine's a combined workshop and storage space. The modest hatchback car that won't go through the garage door is on the drive.

Considering that cars have been getting bigger - yep, pretty daft!

Considering that cars have been getting bigger - yep, pretty daft!

I think they probably just keep building costs down/smaller plots, but can sell newer houses easier and far more expensive if they have a garage - even though it's potentially useless to comfortably house most modern 'family size and above', cars.

I think they probably just keep building costs down/smaller plots, but can sell newer houses easier and far more expensive if they have a garage - even though it's potentially useless to comfortably house most modern 'family size and above', cars.

Yeah, I think that is the key to this. The average garage, I bet, would benefit from an extra meter width, but plots are smaller, so it doesn't fit.

Yeah, I think that is the key to this. The average garage, I bet, would benefit from an extra meter width, but plots are smaller, so it doesn't fit.

To be fair, you can't blame them really, it's just efficiency these days.

Most of these new builds have driveways, and everyone knows anyway that garages always end up full of crap, so pointless to make them car size! :hihi:

If I was a builder trying to squeeze profit and as many new builds onto a plot, I'd probably only make 1 in 5 a decent size one - for people like me (and you and other posters) who notice these things.

To be fair, you can't blame them really, it's just efficiency these days.

Most of these new builds have driveways, and everyone knows anyway that garages always end up full of crap, so pointless to make them car size! :hihi:

If I was a builder trying to squeeze profit and as many new builds onto a plot, I'd probably only make 1 in 5 a decent size one - for people like me (and you and other posters) who notice these things.

It is wrong! 3 in 5 of those will be claiming an insurance discount ;)

I get my car in, regular width garage, it's tight though.

4 years ago I drove my brand new quashqai into the garage and found the door only opened about 6 inches.

So drove it out.

Wife's ancient Mini sits in the dry my car out in all weathers.

My Audi A3 went into the garage with plenty of room to spare.

Should have gone to specsavers.

Have you checked that you are not trying to put your second (much smaller) car into the garage whilst your current (main) car is already in the garage?

Or are you saying that your garage is shrinking over time? :confused:

Guest sibon

Mods.

Can we please amend the title to: "Cars becoming too wide for garages":)

Our rented house has a garage with a door that you can't get a car through anyway, but we only needed it for storage so it didn't matter. Makes it a bit tricky to get the bike in and out though, I'm looking forward to having a proper garage where it can just be rolled out the door.

We're looking for a house at the moment.