More 0 hours workers than ever..

A record number of people are now on 0 hours. The figures have soared since 2014. There are now nearly a million.

This means these people have no employment rights, no holiday pay, no sick pay, and no guarantee of any work from one day to the next. How can people live with this level of insecurity? How can they budget?

Ok, some people like working part time and need the flexibility, but according to BBC investigations, many many more don't. Open your mouth and you're out. All those hard won worker's rights have just been thrown out of the window. Never have workers been treated with such contemp.t

A record number of people are now on 0 hours. The figures have soared since 2014. There are now nearly a million.

This means these people have no employment rights, no holiday pay, no sick pay, and no guarantee of any work from one day to the next. How can people live with this level of insecurity? How can they budget?

Ok, some people like working part time and need the flexibility, but according to BBC investigations, many many more don't. Open your mouth and you're out. All those hard won worker's rights have just been thrown out of the window. Never have workers been treated with such contemp.t

Do we have any numbers on what fraction of these people would prefer a traditional employer-employee relationship?

A million out of a total workforce of well over 30 million is not all that much.

There have been times in my life when I would have appreciated that kind of flexibility. For example at university. It's a shame it was not really available back that.

Edited by unbeliever

If you don't agree with the terms don't take the job.

Although won't they be claiming every credit and benefit available ?

OR as is the case in a massive % of these cases they're students and the money they earn isn't for existence its extra spending money. Then they jack the job in at the drop of a hat

OR as is the case in a massive % of these cases they're students and the money they earn isn't for existence its extra spending money. Then they jack the job in at the drop of a hat

I didn't think you were able to claim jobseekers as you technically aren't looking for a job. Some employers put clauses in that you can't work for anyone else...perhaps the first step is to make that illegal...technically it cannot be enforced, but as an employer can fire you for anything at all (except certain protected characteristics or trade union membership for example) then it's not difficult to fire you if you do get another job.

I think it's fairly clear to all and sundry, that some employers are taking advantage of some employees, same as the 'gig economy', and that any changes to the law should protect the workers and employers who are offering these contracts for genuine reasons for the benefit of both parties and not just trying to screw staff over.

The system as it is makes it very difficult for people on ZHC to claim things like Income Support for the weeks they aren't working e.g. processing times, if they are able to claim it.

Also don't assume they'll be on every credit and benefit available. Statistics show that around £16bn a year in benefits go unclaimed (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/7144127/16bn-worth-of-benefits-unclaimed-every-year.html).

Does it provide a breakdown of people who have zero hour contracts as well as other employment?

Take care work for example. It's very common for people in the care sector to have a usual care job and be 'bank staff' elsewhere. Bank staff are zero hour contracts on the provision that you may get called to come in and cover a shift when someone isn't available. I've known this to happen for at least 20 years and everyone from private care homes through to the council and the NHS have bank staff.

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 15:02 ----------

This means these people have no employment rights

Workers on ZHC have the same employment rights as anyone else.

https://fullfact.org/economy/facts-about-zero-hour-contracts/

I would have thought the number would have been larger, but i agree it is totally out of order.

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 15:28 ----------

Isnt it difficult to claim, benifits if you do not know the hour your going to be working

I would have thought the number would have been larger, but i agree it is totally out of order.

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 15:28 ----------

Isnt it difficult to claim, benifits if you do not know the hour your going to be working

Its not difficult to claim a benefit and then get a zero hour contract, giving you 16 undeclared hours of work before declaring it.

Its not difficult to claim a benefit and then get a zero hour contract, giving you 16 undeclared hours of work before declaring it.

But that's exactly the same for someone working a 15 hour contract then? I'm not sure what point you are making?

I've not claimed JSA so I could be wrong, but I was sure that any money you earn is offset against JSA even under the 16 hours limit?

But that's exactly the same for someone working a 15 hour contract then? I'm not sure what point you are making?

If you have a fixed 15 hour contract you have to work it if you can find one, if you have zero hours contract you'll likely get ad hoc hours and they're likely to be easier to find. Suits some more than others.

It doesn't however make zero hours the devils instrument.But I'd like to bet that on a daily non seasonal basis more people are using it as a source of extra income than as a fixed wage on which to build a career or family.

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 15:50 ----------

I've not claimed JSA so I could be wrong, but I was sure that any money you earn is offset against JSA even under the 16 hours limit?

It don't think it affects it, you can also apparently be unable to work through disability and still do permitted work,that seems a little incongruous to me.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/in-work-or-looking-for-work/benefits-and-tax-credits-for-people-in-work/

I'm not saying people shouldn't - i'd be finding any way to boost my income as well if it were possible. But zero hours can be a benefit to many members of society.

This means these people have no employment rights, no holiday pay, no sick pay, and no guarantee of any work from one day to the next.

Really?

If you’re on a zero hours contract, you can still get sick pay - you should ask your employer for it. If they say no, ask them to explain why. You can contact your nearest Citizens Advice if you’re not happy with their explanation.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/sick-pay/check-if-youre-entitled-to-sick-pay/

Although zero hours contracts have been controversial, many say they provide flexibility to people such as students, parents and those with other caring responsibilities.

The employee - who still receives employment rights such as annual leave - does not have to accept work offered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39147135

There is a common misunderstanding that a zero-hours contract worker has no statutory rights. This is not true.

You will be entitled to basic statutory employment rights such as the National Minimum Wage (NMW), holiday pay and statutory rest breaks, based on the hours that you are required to work

https://worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/young-workers/working-students/i%E2%80%99ve-got-%E2%80%98zero-hours%E2%80%99-contract-am-i-entitled-any-holiday

Yeah, the DWP really think it's great if you do that. They actually give you extra money to feed yourself instead of sanctioning you and leaving you with nothing to live on! :huh:

Here, educated yourself.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/want-to-know-the-depressing-reality-of-zero-hours-contracts-take-a-look-at-sports-direct-a6769896.html

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 15:54 ----------

And then there's the reality.