2017 Spring Budget...

Have I been paying businesses VAT on goods and services that they have not then been paying to the state?

Have I been paying businesses VAT on goods and services that they have not then been paying to the state?

If you've bought something from penistone999 I'll guarentee it.

No, you may have been paying business VAT on goods who had opted in to the flat rate scheme.

Maybe VAT- and all its attending paperwork- might be scrapped once the UK leaves the EU.

By all accounts, the pre-1973 Purchase Tax (which it replaced) was very much simpler and cheaper to administer.

Maybe VAT- and all its attending paperwork- might be scrapped once the UK leaves the EU.

By all accounts, the pre-1973 Purchase Tax (which it replaced) was very much simpler and cheaper to administer.

Have to say I hope so. VAT seems to target some very strange things and miss out others. Anything to simplify for both business and customers is to be welcomed.

The really irksome aspect of VAT is the need for everyone in a supply chain to produce input/output tax detail at each stage.

Purchase tax applied at the final salespoint only.

The flat rate scheme simplifies it considerably, and originally also provided an incentive to join the scheme. The incentive is what has been removed.