Using Mobile Phones While Driving - New Laws

As smoking has been mentioned, does anybody else think it's slightly mad that we're allowed to hold a lit, naked source of ignition in one hand whilst also trying to control a moving vehicle?

...Or is it just me?

As smoking has been mentioned, does anybody else think it's slightly mad that we're allowed to hold a lit, naked source of ignition in one hand whilst also trying to control a moving vehicle?

...Or is it just me?

Ecigs should definitely be banned whilst driving, they would crash due to fog ;)

...Or is it just me?

No dafter than driving with 500ml of hot coffee in a cardboard cup.

Or Jools Holland on the radio. I'd much prefer to crash than suffer that! :gag:

In fact, I wonder how many car crashes/multiple pile-ups are directly attributable to that idiot … must be a fair percentage, and a darned sight more than people using mobiles (or juggling even) whilst driving.

@Alcoblog, I'm like that with Patrick Kielty

I hardly think it's speculation to suggest that someone in the vehicle would be more aware of the vehicle surroundings than someone not in the vehicle, is it?

I believe my post indicated that talking to a passenger is also distracting at times :confused:

Out of interest, do you use a mobile phone when driving?

I have bluetooth hands free, so on occasion yes I do.

I talk to my passengers far more often.

---------- Post added 11-03-2017 at 09:24 ----------

No, but from reading his responses in this thread he seems to be arguing that talking on a mobile isn't distracting, I wondered if it was from personal experience.

You must be failing to actually read what I've written.

I've not suggested once that talking on the phone doesn't increase cognitive load and adversely affect driving.

What I've repeated is that the same is true for any conversation. And the common defence for passengers is that they are also drivers and also taking notice of the road, both of which are assumptions that may not be true made to support the assertion that talking on the phone is worst.

---------- Post added 11-03-2017 at 09:26 ----------

Despite cars having cup holders, you can be prosecuted for taking a drink whilst controlling a car (or indeed eating an apple).

I have bluetooth hands free, so on occasion yes I do.

I talk to my passengers far more often.

---------- Post added 11-03-2017 at 09:24 ----------

You must be failing to actually read what I've written.

I've not suggested once that talking on the phone doesn't increase cognitive load and adversely affect driving.

What I've repeated is that the same is true for any conversation. And the common defence for passengers is that they are also drivers and also taking notice of the road, both of which are assumptions that may not be true made to support the assertion that talking on the phone is worst.

---------- Post added 11-03-2017 at 09:26 ----------

Despite cars having cup holders, you can be prosecuted for taking a drink whilst controlling a car (or indeed eating an apple).

Ok, but car manufactures are equipping vehicles so they can, effectivly break the law, or at least enable you to do so. So are motorway services. If memory serves there is a drivethru Starbucks at fleet services on the m3. After that, there's no car park, no option to turn round, just the m3. As it's drive through, you can only serve a driver. If your post is right (and I've no reason to think otherwise - how safe is it driving 70mph with your head tilted back as you slurp down the dregs of your overpriced half caf skinny latte with a hazelnut shot?) how would such a place get planning permission?

Ok, but car manufactures are equipping vehicles so they can, effectivly break the law, or at least enable you to do so. So are motorway services. If memory serves there is a drivethru Starbucks at fleet services on the m3. After that, there's no car park, no option to turn round, just the m3. As it's drive through, you can only serve a driver. If your post is right (and I've no reason to think otherwise - how safe is it driving 70mph with your head tilted back as you slurp down the dregs of your overpriced half caf skinny latte with a hazelnut shot?) how would such a place get planning permission?

If you're gonna go down that route, you need to start with the fact that cars are equipped with engines capable of doing much more than the legal speed limit.

If you're gonna go down that route, you need to start with the fact that cars are equipped with engines capable of doing much more than the legal speed limit.

My previous car didn't have a cup holder. Somewhere on the internet is a photo of my shoe being used to hold a cup of coke....photo taken while stationary etc. :D

Perhaps you ought to start a campaign to fit limiters on engines :)

I thought that when this case came to court:

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2015-10-22/driver-who-had-coughing-fit-while-drinking-coffee-led-to-death-of-teenage-girl/

This guy was found guilty of careless driving after he choked drinking coffee at the wheel. Seems to me that he was just doing what thousands of people do every day, but was terribly and tragically unlucky.

Perhaps you ought to start a campaign to fit limiters on engines :)

No need to start a campaign, it is already the law for trucks and buses all over the western hemisphere , just a matter of time before it hits cars. Delay is probably because of all the lost revenue from speeding tickets lol