Vote lib dem in local elections?

Unlike others on this thread, up in Crookes, we received quite a few election leaflets and much of the campaigning has been pretty negative. But I've found the Lib Dem material pretty awful. We've received three leaflets from them - one was a standard, yellow themed, Lib Dem logo at the top leaflet. But I thought the other two were really misleading. One was the "Sheffield Courier", apparently a newspaper. It wasn't obviously a Lib Dem publication, but carried lots of good news stories about the Lib Dems and lots of bad news about Labour. It carried the required imprint on the back page identifying it as Lib Dem, but I think there's something quite dubious about a newspaper format that doesn't carry clear party branding. We've also received an A4 black and white leaflet "Betrayal". Again, it's not clearly branded and devotes one side to Labour's "betrayal" and half the other side to a positive Lib Dem message. The other half of the page is blank apart from "Betrayal" in large letters (upper case are approx 4cm). It carries the required imprint again but it's on the crease (the page is folded in half) and is actually too small to measure - I think the capital letters are less than 3mm tall. It's really quite difficult to identify these leaflets as official Lib Dem election material. I think if a political party pushes leaflets through my door, they should at least make it easy to see, at a glance, who those leaflets come from rather than relying on the very minimum of legal requirements. No advertiser would be allowed to get away with this.

Previously posted as new topic - redirected to this existing thread, so here is my post.

On Sunday morning a black cab pulled up outside my house, the driver posted a letter through my door and then drove off.

The letter was personally addressed to me and was from Iltaf Hussain, the Lib Dem candidate for Nether Edge Ward.

It went on to promote the Green record and values of the Lib Dems and to disparage Labour's record on this issue, in an effort to win my vote for the upcoming elections.

Now forgive my ignorance, but for a black cab to drive to my house only, to deliver this message, is surely hypocrisy beyond belief. As my husband is also on the Electoral Roll, can we expect a similar visit with his letter?? It would be interesting to know what the carbon footprint of this excersise actually was.

Someone commented tongue in cheek that they probably couldn't afford the stamps, however whats wrong with Shanks's pony - delivering for a local candidate in the ward he represents is hardly going to be a marathon...

The Tories aren't happy with Lib Dem leafletting either :

Dore Conservation Group have issued a statement.

The Tories aren't happy with Lib Dem leafletting either :

Dore Conservation Group have issued a statement.

Is the Dore Conservation Group comprised solely of what you like to call "Tories"?

Or was it a typo and should actually be "Conservative Group"? :huh:

I see the pace of the politicking on here is speeding up ... with only two more days to go! :)

It's nearly that time folks.....who else wants Blunkett for Mayor?
Think we've all had enough of silly David for one lifetime!

The Lib Dems were quite open that they were happy to be part of Coalition governments with any party and saw the future of politcs as one where parties made compromises with each other to realise both the best outcomes for the country and for what the electorate wanted.

In fact they'd got a track record of ruling in coalitions at local level, Leeds is a good example.

So why on earth do people call them lying and duplicitous?

In my humblest opinion; the electorate of this country is stupid and naive to such an extent that genuinely harms democracy .

The Lib Dems were quite open that they were happy to be part of Coalition governments with any party and saw the future of politcs as one where parties made compromises with each other to realise both the best outcomes for the country and for what the electorate wanted.

In fact they'd got a track record of ruling in coalitions at local level, Leeds is a good example.

So why on earth do people call them lying and duplicitous?

In my humblest opinion; the electorate of this country is stupid and naive to such an extent that genuinely harms democracy .

Can I remind you of a quote from Mr Clegg

"The day before I was elected leader, Mr Cameron suggested we join them.

He talked about a “progressive alliance”.

This talk of alliances comes up a lot, doesn’t it?

Everyone wants to be in our gang.

So I want to make something very clear today.

Will I ever join a Conservative government?

No.

Will I ever join a Labour government?

No.

I will never allow the Liberal Democrats to be a mere annex to another party's agenda.

But am I interested in building a new type of government? Yes.

Liverpool 2008: Nick Clegg's Leader's Speech

http://www.libdems.org.uk/speeches_detail.aspx?pPK=3efdf716-ae50-4272-b6ea-a35066221880&title=Liverpool_2008%3A_Nick_Clegg%27s_Leader%27s_Speech

Can I remind you of a quote from Mr Clegg

"The day before I was elected leader, Mr Cameron suggested we join them.

He talked about a “progressive alliance”.

This talk of alliances comes up a lot, doesn’t it?

Everyone wants to be in our gang.

So I want to make something very clear today.

Will I ever join a Conservative government?

No.

Will I ever join a Labour government?

No.

I will never allow the Liberal Democrats to be a mere annex to another party's agenda.

But am I interested in building a new type of government? Yes.

Liverpool 2008: Nick Clegg's Leader's Speech

http://www.libdems.org.uk/speeches_detail.aspx?pPK=3efdf716-ae50-4272-b6ea-a35066221880&title=Liverpool_2008%3A_Nick_Clegg%27s_Leader%27s_Speech

Odd that you missed the next line of the speech out:

"Based on pluralism instead of one party rule? Yes."

Which shows the real meaning rather than your rather sad attempt to quote out of context.

Still, the LDP did nationally:

a. join a Conservative government; and

b. become a mere annex to another party's agenda.

Still, the LDP did nationally:

a. join a Conservative government; and

b. become a mere annex to another party's agenda.

We don't have a Conservative government.

You really need to get your head around the idea of coalitions - it's not that difficult to understand.

We don't have a Conservative government.

That's news to the Prime Minister, surely.