What have the condems done for you

Labour broke the country economically, culturally, spritually and in just about every other way possible. It will take two generations just to pay back what they owed financially. In every other respect the country will never be the same again no matter how hard the government tries. Between 1997 and 2008 Labour broke the country. Between 2008 and 2010 they burned the rubble down.

Stop being hysterical. :hihi::hihi:

Got to be a good thing, labour would have given her a lot of pain.

Boom boom.

Boom boom.

Thankyou, I'll be here all week.

I've got a very long memory. I've seen all of this before in 1982. If you are really so easily bought by a small cut in your direct taxation, whilst putting up with a swingeing increase in indirect taxation, so be it.

In the last three years, Vat is up by 2.5%. Your petrol bill is up by almost 40%. Staple food is up by who knows how much. The interest on your savings has collapsed.

None of this matters to Osbourne or Cameron. It will bite you and me in the bum though.

Read my Will Hutton link up there ^^^ for more

Unfortunately, I have to say that I don't think you do.

Whilst the income tax was originally raised to 17.5% (from 15%) in 1991 by the Torries, Labour were in power for more than 11 years before they lowered it (from 97 to 08) back to 15%. At the time they said it was a temporary measure to stimulate the economy.

Milliband has refused to state that Labour would not have increased VAT, they would have done so as quickly as the Torries

You are also wrong to blame the condems for the plunging interest rates. Whilst Labour are in no way to blame for the recession, their management of the economy during the boom years exacerbated the problems hugely.

I find it hard to deny that the condems have done quite a good job. 7/10, I am satisfied but not delighted with their runnning of the country. I personally have more money in my pocket and a safer job.

You are also wrong to blame the condems for the plunging interest rates.

The Coalition are quite wrong to champion the low interest rates. They are highly abnormal and absolute poison for the economy. No cause for celebration at all.

"What have the ConDems done for you" in a word - nowt.

Angel.

BCCI, Barings, early 1990s small-medium banks crisis. All happened under the Tories.

I don't want to upset your increasingly desperate rant here but the barings bank issue happened in Singapore, and BCCI is a Pakistani bank registered in Luxembourg. But we shouldn't let little details like that get in the way should we.

I don't want to upset your increasingly desperate rant here but the barings bank issue happened in Singapore, and BCCI is a Pakistani bank registered in Luxembourg. But we shouldn't let little details like that get in the way should we.

Nothing desperate about it.

BCCI had a HQ in London. Barings Bank had been in London for hundreds of years.

Just read up on it.

I've got a very long memory. I've seen all of this before in 1982. If you are really so easily bought by a small cut in your direct taxation, whilst putting up with a swingeing increase in indirect taxation, so be it.

In the last three years, Vat is up by 2.5%. Your petrol bill is up by almost 40%. Staple food is up by who knows how much. The interest on your savings has collapsed.

And a very selective one. Does your memory go back as far as Labour's top rate of tax at 98%? Since then successive governments have cut direct taxes and increased indirect taxes more. There was nobody more expert at it than Brown. He promised not put up income tax so he put up national insurance regularly. In his first year as chancellor he increased taxes by £7bn. He brought in the fuel duty escalator. He increased stamp duty and revalued housing to increase council tax. The list is almost endless. And he took £17,000 out of everybody's private pension pot to fund the overmanning, the lazy and the workshy of the public sector.

And a very selective one. Does your memory go back as far as Labour's top rate of tax at 98%? Since then successive governments have cut direct taxes and increased indirect taxes more. There was nobody more expert at it than Brown. He promised not put up income tax so he put up national insurance regularly. In his first year as chancellor he increased taxes by £7bn. He brought in the fuel duty escalator. He increased stamp duty and revalued housing to increase council tax. The list is almost endless. And he took £17,000 out of everybody's private pension pot to fund the overmanning, the lazy and the workshy of the public sector.

"Another muppet jumping on the public sector bandwaggon !" Enough said.

And he took £17,000 out of everybody's private pension pot

Or put another way he removed a massive and unnecessary (taxpayer-funded) subsidy for private sector pension funds who then went on to piddle the funds up the wall on rubbish investments (e.g. DotCom), who mismanaged funds in general and charged customers through the nose for doing so.

Perhaps Brown's only mistake was to give the funds something to hide behind instead of facing up to their own scandalously poor performance.

It beggars belief that some numpties are still defending Disasterous Dave and his cronies. Talk about banking a donky with a blue rosette on it at any cost, even if their lives and the lives of anyone in the UK depend on it.