It's about time drivers took responsibility for their own actions.

Drivers love to whinge, moan and complain about how hard their lot is what with the 'war on motorists', cyclists committing every crime known to man, speed bumps forcing them to drive at the speed limit and cameras that fine them if when break the law anyway. Daftest of all they complain about traffic delaying them, not realising they are traffic.

But the real issue is that driving a vehicle seems to be an excuse to not only be a scofflaw, but it allows people to behave in extremely antisocial and violent behaviour that would not be tolerated in any other context.

This last week whilst either driving or cycling within a kilometer of where I live in Sheffield, I have had someone endanger my and others lives every single time. Why? To save themselves a few precious seconds so they can sit at the next traffic lights a bit longer.

Some examples.

The car was very nearly t-boned by an idiot violently accelerating out of a retail park, long after the lights had changed to red and I had already driven through on green. The idiot stopped a few cm from side of my car. Cars jump red light all the time, but this was particularly stupid.

Someone pulling out from where they were parked into the flowing traffic in front of me and then immediately stopped to turn right, causing everyone to do an emergency stop.

A muppet signals and pulls in without bothering to check the inside lane was clear. Signalling does not mean you can maneuver regardless. Another emergency stop required.

Another impatient fool overtakes me on a bend on a narrow road causing me to swerve bike off in between parked cars and the person driving in the opposite direction to do an emergency stop.

Today's moron unnecessarily skims past me whilst I'm cycling only to then, as is usual, stop just in front of me. It was safe for me to pass cars on outside so I did. Traffic lights ahead change so I'm about to stop for them but recalling the aggressive driver, I check behind. Numpty is now accelerating to get through the lights he could easily stop for, this time skimming past me on the inside. If I'd stopped for the lights, the thug in a car would have probably have taken me out from behind.

Heck if I wanted to kill someone, the easiest way would be to use a car to do it. In the unlikely event one get caught, you come out with some nonsense excuse and not much will happen to you, such as the stupid woman who drove through the cyclist on Dronfield bypass and killed him. Or the courtesy car that rammed a cyclist in Nottingham last week and there was no conveniently no record of who had car out at the time.

I think people after passing their test should have P [provisional] plates and then have to pass the Advanced Driving Test within two years before getting a full licence. A bit like the motorbike system.

Then if you fail your advanced driving test, you have to start over again. Fail it three times and you are simply not allowed to drive again. The advanced driving skills level should be the norm, as they are not really advanced at all, but simply good basic driving skills.

I will read this tomorrow when I have clear head! Blimey

Cyclists should have training & tests before they are allowed on the road as well !

I've often taken the view that car drivers are subject to the law like everyone else and thus can find no sympathy for those that find themselves being fined for speeding.

Also, why do car drivers get irritated when a pedestrian doesn't wish to wait for them to drive past when they are driving too slow and it's ******* it down with rain. I woman looked at my in disgust when I quickly crossed over after getting sick of waiting for her!!

Car drivers need to realise just because YOU have time doesn't mean everyone else does!!

I've often taken the view that car drivers are subject to the law like everyone else and thus can find no sympathy for those that find themselves being fined for speeding.

Also, why do car drivers get irritated when a pedestrian doesn't wish to wait for them to drive past when they are driving too slow and it's ******* it down with rain. I woman looked at my in disgust when I quickly crossed over after getting sick of waiting for her!!

Car drivers need to realise just because YOU have time doesn't mean everyone else does!!

And when you get knocked down after running out in front of a car, who will you blame....thats right - the car driver :loopy:

I had a van overtake me and fly though amber/going on red lights on Barnsley road earlier today, the most insane overtake manouvere I've ever seen with my own eyes.

And when you get knocked down after running out in front of a car, who will you blame....thats right - the car driver :loopy:

No!

I'll blame myself if it was my own silly fault.

Lots of car drivers are irresponsible and selfish. They use mobile phones whilst speeding and put the safety of others at risk.

I hope the Government keeps increasing taxes to deter the idiots that shouldn't be driving from driving.

No!

I'll blame myself if it was my own silly fault.

Lots of car drivers are irresponsible and selfish. They use mobile phones whilst speeding and put the safety of others at risk.

I hope the Government keeps increasing taxes to deter the idiots that shouldn't be driving from driving.

And what about the 99% that drive sensibly who also get hit with these taxes?

Unfortunately, there's no tax on stupidity.

Edited by bkcin

And what about the 99.9% that drive sensibly who also get hit with these taxes?

Unfortunately, there's no tax on stupidity.

I know it's anecdotal but in my view it is not '99.9%' as you claim. I do think the majority of drivers are skilled and competent to be in charge of a vehicle, but there's a significant (of all ages) that are not and they need to be taken off the roads, for their own safety as well as that of others.

Cyclists should have training & tests before they are allowed on the road as well !
Yawn. Cliche No 1 ticked off within 2 posts.:clap:

Drivers need to take responsibility for their own antisocial behaviour and stop blaming/attacking others.

Vehicles kill thousands of people a year and injure and maim tens of thousands of others. Cyclists however do not have the capacity to kill and injure in the same way, not to mention the rider is more likely to be hurt than anyone else unlike with cars which are very safe to be in if having an accident. There is very, very little comparison between the cycles and enclosed motorised vehicles, one had a large capacity to hurt others and protect the driver, the other very little ability to hurt drivers and a big risk to the cyclist.

---------- Post added 10-02-2016 at 23:24 ----------

This is the point I am trying to make. Drivers seem to feel that their actions are without consequence and yet love to blame everyone else for road problems when drivers are the ones killing waaaaay more people than all the terrorists in the world combined.

perhaps if bus fares or tramfares was cheaper more would use them instead ,

Jezzyjj. Just stay indoors love, you're obviously too insecure and nervous to be out on your own. Have a cup of cocoa, go to bed and relax.