Garden waste (green bin) collection charges introduced from May 2012

Are the council abolishing the green bin collection? It just said on Look North that the council are abolishing it, surely if this is true the people should be told by the council not the media. We have green bins here and I have not heard that it is being abolished.

yes they are giving the people who havnt these green bins for a couple of years and taking them off the people that do have them to let them struggle on like the rest of the sheffield do

Back to putting garden rubbish in the black bin then????

Edited by legs 49
missed words

my green bin is already full due to winter pruning ,raking leaves up etc .can any bright sparks from the council or on here give me an idea what to do with it .

In killamarsh we have 3 bins, black (normal rubbish), red (plastics, paper, glass) and green (garden stuff). We got a letter about a month ago saying they are getting rid of either the green or red (cant remeber which) and we just use one for plastics, paper, glass & garden stuff

I'd of thought the easiest solution would be to make a compost pile somewhere in a garden. Usually a matter of three pallets stood on end to make an open ended box and then you'll find it's a hell of a lot easier collecting your vegetable matter and placing it in the compost area.

yeah that would lovely in my garden, three pallets

I suggested pallets as they're cheap and easy to fix together, you could do what my grandfather did and have an area made up with three brick walls. I helped a friend a few years ago move their garden shed aaway from a boundary wall so they could make a compost collection area out of the way and partially concealed by the shed.

Can I paint my Green Bin Black?

Before we got the Green Bins, all the Garden rubbish, including Grass went in the black bin. It was full every week. Now they are talking about moving black bins to every two weeks and no green bin emptying I will be stuck once it gets full.

There will be a big increase in fly tipping if and when it all happens.