Potholes (in general). Do they get a bad press?

I travel to and from work daily, and potholes (seemingly) are the bane of my life. Or are they?

Let me explain. I drive a Mini (BMW) and end up having to memorise where these potholes are...and adjusting my position in the road in an attempt to avoid them...Not exactly swerving across the road, but as I said, adjusting my position.

I've kinda got used to where most of them are (except new ones), and drive accordingly. However if I forget, my car goes with a hell of a crump down the said hole. My front suspension collapsed a little while back and subsequently in doing so irreparably damaged the front tyre. £350 later....

Anyway, I've noticed, that the said potholes tend to mainly be poorly fitted 'iron-works' of one sort or another...I assume the council can't just throw some tarmac over an existing iron-work manhole cover. So it 'seems' nothing is ever done, and if anything, the problem gets worse as the cover sinks further.

I just wonder is it the responsibility of whoever the 'iron work' belongs to? Or the council to 'make good'.

Edited by PeteMorris

Council. So dont hold your breath. (not a pop at SCC, im over the border and the main road through my neck of the woods is like a ploughed field)

Council. So dont hold your breath. (not a pop at SCC, im over the border and the main road through my neck of the woods is like a ploughed field)

Ok some people might say, report them...It's easier said than done...On my journey to work, there's probably in the region of around 30 ish iron-works which have 'sunk'...It would take forever to document them all with exact locations...Not to mention the hazard of actually doing it...

Ok some people might say, report them...It's easier said than done...On my journey to work, there's probably in the region of around 30 ish iron-works which have 'sunk'...It would take forever to document them all with exact locations...Not to mention the hazard of actually doing it...

Give it your best shot and complain using the form here.

Give it your best shot and complain using the form here.

Ah...The problem there with that form, it's ok for the Sheffield areas. However, as I have multiple examples of it which are in both Sheffield, and the Barnsley areas...So it's a bit of a nightmare, considering I would have to revisit the form for each 'example'...eeeeek

Pete - despite what tinfoilhat says, in Sheffield at least, it depends what the ironworks are actually covering.

I had noisy ones (three of them near me recently, reported them via my local councilor and they were dealt with by three bodies - a drainage grate via SCC, a main drain cover by YW and a phone inspection cover by BT - and they didn't co-ordinate the work - it took three months and various calls from me to get it all sorted.:mad:

I travel to and from work daily, and potholes (seemingly) are the bane of my life. Or are they?

Let me explain. I drive a Mini (BMW) and end up having to memorise where these potholes are...and adjusting my position in the road in an attempt to avoid them...Not exactly swerving across the road, but as I said, adjusting my position.

I've kinda got used to where most of them are (except new ones), and drive accordingly. However if I forget, my car goes with a hell of a crump down the said hole. My front suspension collapsed a little while back and subsequently in doing so irreparably damaged the front tyre. £350 later....

Anyway, I've noticed, that the said potholes tend to mainly be poorly fitted 'iron-works' of one sort or another...I assume the council can't just throw some tarmac over an existing iron-work manhole cover. So it 'seems' nothing is ever done, and if anything, the problem gets worse as the cover sinks further.

I just wonder is it the responsibility of whoever the 'iron work' belongs to? Or the council to 'make good'.

At least you have a new mini with big tyres to ride the bumps pete,i used to drive an old early seventies mini and because of the small wheels it was a tad bumpy shall we say.:hihi:.It was highly modified and lowered and nearly used to fall into potholes.I once grounded myself on a speed hump and had to get a passer by to try and lift the rear up so i could get some grip to the front wheels.